Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting News in This Week's Newsletter from Allbrands... >

Interesting News in This Week's Newsletter from Allbrands...

Interesting News in This Week's Newsletter from Allbrands...

Old 01-16-2012, 12:52 PM

I have a kenmore that is 53 years old. When I started quilting about 3 years ago I have it serviced for the first time and it works great. It is very heavy so I don't move it around a lot.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:15 PM

Kenmore has been my machine for many years. The one I purchased in the 1970's has stood up to everything I have put it through and still runs like new. I have other machines, but I always come back to the Kenmore. Sorry to see what they are doing about changing manufactures. I had heard they were discontinuing the sale of any machine. Has anyone else heard that?
Old 01-16-2012, 04:56 PM

I bought my first Singer machine 50 yrs. ago a table model.I used it a lot sewing for myself & my children. I have never had any trouble with it. I always cleaned & oiled it myself. When I started quilting about 10 yrs. ago, I bought another Singer, this time a portable. It isn,t fancy but I have had good luck with it. Once in awhile I use my table model & it still works like a charm. I guess you might say, "I would vote for Singer ." lol Nancy
Old 01-16-2012, 07:10 PM

Oh my i remember the first machine i had, it was a singer, i sold it more than 20 yrs ago, i wish i had kept it, but i have two older pfaffs and i love them both and will never get rid of them. They run beautifully and i take them in once a year.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Kenmore machines

You know this is good info! I have had several janome machines & currently have a Horizons 7700. I also have a Sear Kenmore machine that I got in 1979. Yes, I still have it and use it. i still love it!
Old 01-16-2012, 09:44 PM

wow glad you brought this to our attention , i have a Kenmore sewing machine Santa bought for me about 6 years ago and i have never had a problem with it yet and it gets a lot of use this is the only machine i have so i use from start to finish on all my quilts i was thinking of getting a differant machine because of all the bells and whistles they have on them , but now my ole kenmore seems to be just fine!
thank you
Old 01-17-2012, 06:50 AM

I will stick with my vintage machines. I do have a Kenmore from the 70's and it works great. I used a 1936 Featherweight to piece my dgd's queen size quilt.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the update, sad to hear it - and I have the same concerns with change of manuf. to China ... also surprising how many don't know that Janome has manuf for Sears Kenmore all these years ...
Afraid it will be like the Pfaff situation, once German-made and such high quality. Then manuf. shifted to Sweden after they were bought by VSP, then many were made in Czechoslovakia & elsewhere ? and then manuf shifted to China 3-4 years ago. The great Pfaff quality went right down the Toilet, and will never be the same ...

Last edited by TexasGurl; 01-17-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:22 AM

I got into quilting about 11 years ago with a friend who taught me. I had a very old Universal brand sewing machine so I decided to buy a Kenmore which is what I could afford at the time. Only had it serviced about 3 times and never had a problem. I decided to upgrade to a Laura Ashley NX2000 this year and love it for the features. I still fall back on the Kenmore to sew flannel which is very fuzzy. The Kenmore is easier to clean.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM

I learned how to sew on a Kenmore more than 50 years ago - have always had Kenmores since then, now work with my electronic workhorse and it's serger cousin, both Kenmores, bought them about 9 years ago, also have my grandma's Kenmore in the cabinet - my old Singers (FW and treadle) are fun but for everyday sewing, I swear by my Kenmores. They just can't be beat.