Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is the silliest thing you did while quilting? >

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

What is the silliest thing you did while quilting?

Old 08-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by wvdek
Hope you had some aloe vera juice to put on that burn. I would have screamed. Hate burns since I went in after a spoon in the deep fryer one day without thinking. Wanted to cut my hand off the pain was so bad.
OW OW OW OW

Old 08-17-2009, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

Today I am starting back to school full time (at 54) and thought I would take a few minutes to read this thread before getting ready.

My cutting table is elevated, since I am taller, and occasionally I bend forward too far and I catch my b@@@ in between the scissors handles as they come together. I know I know, but what's a girl to do when she has to get close? My DD just laughs when I do this and my DH, well we won't go there.
Congratulations on going back to school! I think you'll love it.

Now, how in the world do you catch your B*** in the scissors handles?

(I'm endowed and my cups runneth over, but how do you do THAT?)
Old 08-17-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
Today I am starting back to school full time (at 54) and thought I would take a few minutes to read this thread before getting ready.

My cutting table is elevated, since I am taller, and occasionally I bend forward too far and I catch my b@@@ in between the scissors handles as they come together. I know I know, but what's a girl to do when she has to get close? My DD just laughs when I do this and my DH, well we won't go there.

It must have something to do with her height. When I was in college (many moons ago), I got a "pinch" when closing the top drawer of my chest-of-drawers. YIKES. Did that {{smart}}. :roll:
Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 AM

When I was machine quilting I got my hand too close to the needle and sewed my quilting gloves right to the quilt. Boy was that a mess.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:03 AM

I sewed through my finger and bled on the quilt.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:14 AM

Ouch!! I've heard that if you get a little bit of blood on the fabric you can dab it with your own spit (gross I know) and it will take it out - I tried it and it works.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:03 PM
Power Poster

I'm not sure I really want to know all the details!! :shock: I just know it would hurt!...reminds me that I need to make an appointment for that lovely annual checkup.. :roll:
Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by sandpat

I'm not sure I really want to know all the details!! :shock: I just know it would hurt!...reminds me that I need to make an appointment for that lovely annual checkup.. :roll:

Heck I am doing this at the end of the month on purpose. It is called a mamogram!!!! They suck!!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by kwhite
OHHHHHHH that would be bad. No I didn't put anything on it. I suppose I should have but that would have required leaving the sewing room. I avoid that at all costs. I do have bandaids in there but nothing for a burn.

I have a matching tat in the same place, same arm, same cause, but it's a bit smaller and a bit deeper and taking its sweet time to heal. Although it wouldn't work while sewing, I often smear a layer of toothpaste on top of a burn immediately after it happens, especially while cooking. It cools the skin and puts a protective coating on to keep the air off for a bit and reduce the sting. If the burn is not too deep, such as a steam burn, it often prevents it from blistering. Weird, I know, but it works.

Another lesson I learned years ago the hard way is not to iron in your birthday suit if you are in a hurry. The edge of iron gliding off the board can make a loooonnnggg blister right at your waist, making wearing anything with a waistband quite uncomfortable for weeks.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 PM

this is going to sound really stupid and it honestly was on my part :oops:
but one night after work, while trying to finish my first ever quilt so that I could enter it in the local county fair, I stayed up all night to sew. Well, I have waist length hair and didn't tie it back like normal because I was really tired after a loooong day at work. I'm sure you can all guess where this is going :oops: !!! To make a long story short....I leaned over my machine to straighten out the quilt on the other side and didn't pull my hair out or away from the machine :oops: and please remember that this was about 4 am, I sewed my hair into the quilt. :oops: :oops:
Wow did I have a really difficult time extracting my hair from the stitches. It took me about a half hour to undo that mess.
Lesson learned? Keep my hair tied back and don't sew all night again... :oops: