Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be? >

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Is there a limit as to how ugly a charity quilt can be?

Old 01-18-2012, 08:37 PM

A great number of the arguments in this blog are those expressed by various members in my large guild. It has caused considerable controversy since folks are so set in their opinions. I belong to the community quilt friendship group and have found it to be fascinating to listen to the various sides of the arguments.

Let the recipients decide. Our guild has made over 900 quilts a year for many years. Many could fall into the "butt ugly" category and many are showstoppers. We finally decided to just let the recipient decide. We asked each group what they wanted style wise and gave them what they wanted. Color is in the eye of the beholder.

Some folks want certain sizes, colors, fabrics, or designs. Some just want anything we can give them. Because we are making so many quilts a year, about all the editing we do is to make sure the fabric is washable, wearable and similar in content. Whoever pieces the quilt gets to choose what colors get put together and gets help if they run into problems assembling the top. Whoever quilts the quilt, does the best work they can and gets help if they run into trouble.

One of the ugliest quilts we had was the first one picked by a foster child, because it reminded him of his favorite food. We do kits for the local prisons to assemble...those can not have gang colors, nor extra fabric because it would be stolen and sold on the prison black market. Consequently, we get some tone and contrast challenging quilts that I personally wouldn't like, but no one has complained yet...because they got something for nothing when they had nothing. So many in our area have been hit by the economy and various tragedies that to get something useful is a very big blessing.

Any yes, we have members who refuse to use donated material, and members that refuse to work on the prison quilts because they aren't "Good enough" in construction or color, etc. So those projects go to members who are willing to work on quilts that aren't their usual style of quilt. Everyone is a volunteer and can work on it if they choose. If they don't choose, it stays on the table until it can be worked on or fixed. By working outside of our comfort zone, we learn something new about ourselves. Bottom line: It gets done.

Just keep up the good work, folks! Regardless of what you think of it, someone out there wants it and is waiting to get it.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:02 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

After more thought, I decided that I would e-mail the charity we're making these quilts for, tell them what we're doing, and ask if the quilts are suitable, or if we should do something differently. I received a prompt, and most wonderful reply, which I will share with you:

"Regarding the quality of your quilts – we regard quality quilts as the ones that best meet our guidelines and thereby are able to best serve those in need who receive them. So we’re not too concerned with how a quilt looks, but if it is practical and durable. As far as looks, we believe that every quilt is beautiful in its own way because of what it does for another person. It’s our/your way of wrapping God’s loving arms around someone in need and what’s more beautiful than that!"

She then went on to say that we should use not one, but two of our used sheets as filler in the quilts; apparently four layers of cloth will be sufficiently warm.

And I was delighted with the answer, because:
- now we know exactly what to do
- the people who want draw from our stash will be happy because we can continue to do so (without purchasing anything new)
- the people who hate what is in our stash will be happy because by adding the extra sheet in the middle, the stash will go away faster
- the recipients of our quilts will be better served by that extra layer of fabric (and this is what REALLY matters)

So this is a win, win, win, win all the way around, for everybody!

Now, I have to figure out exactly how to share this information with the group leader. Does anyone have suggestions for me on how to do that???
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM
Power Poster

Patrice summed it up very well. I also agree with those who mentioned weeding out the fabrics which are too worn/shabby or unwashable (they can be used as rags/cleaning cloths or pet bed stuffing). I think the end-result should be a well-made, multi-use and easily cleaned quilt. Quilters are naturally creative creatures, so no matter what colours/textures are available hopefully the finished quilt will have had the usual time/effort spent on putting it together with flair and care.
Old 01-18-2012, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

Seems we posted almost simultaneously How about making a flyer for everyone quoting what was said in the email and maybe some of the responses from this post.....everyone will be on the same page then
Old 01-18-2012, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
There are cases of people who need a quilt to keep warm, but if it's too pretty it might be stolen. Also, there are many people who have terrible addictions to drugs and alcohol, and a very pretty quilt might be sold in a weak moment to raise money to support their habit. In other words, there's a place in this world for even the ugliest quilt, as long as it will keep someone warm. New quilters who don't have the skills to do wonderful work yet should not be discouraged from trying to make something to be donated, and fabric that looks ugly to one person might be quite appealing to another.
Which charities are the ones who give quilts to people with terrible drug addictions?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM

Yes we have a big difference in oppinion on charity quilts. Ugly, poorly made quilts reflect badly on the person or oganization who contribute them. Espacially since people will insist on putting group name lables on them you want to give an ugly quilt buy one from walmart , it's cheap and will last longer than your cheap trash.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics View Post
After more thought, I decided that I would e-mail the charity we're making these quilts for, tell them what we're doing, and ask if the quilts are suitable, or if we should do something differently. I received a prompt, and most wonderful reply, which I will share with you:

"Regarding the quality of your quilts – we regard quality quilts as the ones that best meet our guidelines and thereby are able to best serve those in need who receive them. So we’re not too concerned with how a quilt looks, but if it is practical and durable. As far as looks, we believe that every quilt is beautiful in its own way because of what it does for another person. It’s our/your way of wrapping God’s loving arms around someone in need and what’s more beautiful than that!"

She then went on to say that we should use not one, but two of our used sheets as filler in the quilts; apparently four layers of cloth will be sufficiently warm.

And I was delighted with the answer, because:
- now we know exactly what to do
- the people who want draw from our stash will be happy because we can continue to do so (without purchasing anything new)
- the people who hate what is in our stash will be happy because by adding the extra sheet in the middle, the stash will go away faster
- the recipients of our quilts will be better served by that extra layer of fabric (and this is what REALLY matters)

So this is a win, win, win, win all the way around, for everybody!

Now, I have to figure out exactly how to share this information with the group leader. Does anyone have suggestions for me on how to do that???
Yay for you! I'd just show her your email. It says it all, if she asks why you emailed the organization you can tell her you knew some places receive quilts that are used for doors to huts verses warm cover and you were just curious.

Good luck!

Last edited by Gladys; 01-18-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by gemladi View Post
I went and helped at a Church of Christ in a small community in SD. They quilt for The World Mission and the quilts are not anything I usually make even as a local guild donation. They explained to me the quilts are used for many different reasons and will probably never be washed. Also I heard if really nice looking quilts are donated they sometimes never make it to the intended recipients. I will try to post a photo, but for some reason I have no longer been able to.[ATTACH=CONFIG]304304[/ATTACH]
I have quilts like that and grew up with them. I think they are beautiful!Thanks for the picture.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 PM

Wildyard, double knit on the back of a cotton quilt helps give it body and provides some structure for the quilt, helping it stay in shape. Since these ladies tack the quilts, the double knit is really handy, IMO!
Old 01-18-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Iraxy View Post
Why would anyone donate a super ugly charity quilt? Don't poor people love beauty or is this just reserved for rich people? I think that it is mean spirited to give things that you would toss in the trash away to people just because they are poor. Shame on you! What would your Jesus do?
I agree with Tartan about giving to resale shop instead.
Again I'll ask--------------what constitutes UGLY?