Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ >

Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ

Acrylic Extension does NOT make it easier to FMQ

Old 01-22-2012, 04:15 AM

I've had the same problem with my acrylic extensions table, it makes me crazy. The quilt constantly got caught on the edge of the table...I thought I was doing something wrong. Finally removed it...
Old 01-22-2012, 04:36 AM

I have found that the teflon oven liners work really good to make the area slick so the fabric slides around and they are really large too.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:37 AM

I found a desk at a resale shop and my DH cut a space for my machine, now my machine sets in the drawer. I had to put a piece of board under the machine to set level with the desk top. The desk top is Formica but you could also get a piece of scrap Formica from the store to make a more permanent surface for the FMQing. All I have to do is spray some furniture wax on and it is sooo slippery.
Happy quilting
Jan
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 AM

I use a chair next to me to hold the weight of the quilt and I puddle it on top of the extension table and the large table my machine is sitting on. You don't want all the weight of the quilt resting on top of the extension table. Yes it sometimes gets caught on the edge until you learn to spread the weight around. Keep trying, maybe with something smaller until you get the hang of using the ext, table.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 AM

I bought one made for my machine and it works very well corners are rounded so it doesn't catch and slides in where the extension the legs extend so it is easy to move
Old 01-22-2012, 10:59 AM

I have a QC4800 and have been thinking of ordering the acrylic extension for FMQ. I took a class .....was not good at FMQ at all....thought maybe the small area had something to do with my issues. Couldn't be me LOLOLOL
Some time ago a board member did a post on using the Silicone baking sheets or oven liners for FMQ, just cut a small hole for the needle. Thought about trying that, now I am really confused on which way to go. Go on a quilt retreat in February and signed up for a FMQ class, beginner/ intermediate levels. Will decide then.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:47 AM

I had the same type of problem. The extension is great for just regular sewing but not for FMQ.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:15 PM

I found that a sewing table (cabinet) with an insert, making a flat surface and using the Supreme Slider made a world of difference in my FMQ. I wouldn't do it any other way. I'm thinking of also using a sewing machine grade silicone spray on the areas that don't have the slider as I read about somewhere on line. The quilt has to be flat and supported how ever you can make that happen.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:32 PM

i have seen where they advertise that having the extension for the machine would make it easier to FMQ but could never figure that one out since it is easier if everything is on a even surface especially the quilt needing to be flat , i would spend the money on a table before i would buy an extension
Old 01-22-2012, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Maus View Post
I read that a very very small amount of silicone spray wiped over a surface will help the movement of the quilt. I've bought the spray but haven't tried it yet - so don't know how successful it would be.
The silcone spray works...just make sure its a sewing grade spray...