Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Want husband to butt out >

Want husband to butt out

Want husband to butt out

Old 01-22-2012, 04:06 PM

We ALMOST had this problem until I told my husband he needed HIS work space as well. That got him distracted from my design of MY room. As designs progressed, each of us had ideas for the other one's room, and there were some very key ideas that worked for the other's room.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:00 PM

Another approach that has worked for me is to listen to his idea, and then "walk it through" with him, and mention in a subtle manner that "it would work better this way because. . . ." or "the problem I may end up with is. . ."
I find if I do that, and then finish with "but I don't know if that's something you could do/design/figure out", they rise to the challenge. And on occasion, his ideas have been of value too! Good Luck!
Old 01-22-2012, 05:17 PM

I had basically the same problem when doing my sewing room. Instead of a work table I ended up with a loveseat so if he wants to come watch tv with him then he can. Or if I have anyone over we can hang out in my room. Major problem with that.....not a place big enough to sandwich quilts. Also, he wanted me to put the flat screen where he wanted it. I did but sure wish I hadn't.

Listen to what he has to say, imagine your room set up like he wants, consider his opinion and then do it the way you want if you don't agree.

Good luck and stand your ground.

PS Hubby's been coming in and making a few comments here and there about the condition of "MY" sewing room. I look at him and then ask him to leave if he doesn't like it.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:25 PM

Default My husband is doing the SAME THING with the KITCHEN!!

[now that we're actually making design plans, he wants to do everything his way! He tends to ignore my wishes and expertise . . . I know he means well and is trying to help, but this is MY dream room, not HIS. Has anybody had a problem like this? How do I get the room I want? This is majorly important. Help!
Old 01-22-2012, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by conniemaried View Post
My DH granted me the master bedroom to turn into a sewing studio, but now that we're actually making design plans, he wants to do everything his way! He tends to ignore my wishes and expertise (I've been sewing for 50 years, and have a degree in Home Ec.) I know he means well and is trying to help, but this is MY dream room, not HIS. Has anybody had a problem like this? How do I get the room I want? This is majorly important. Help!
Bless your heart....this is tricky. I would relate it to something he might understand. As in, that you love him for wanting to do this for you, and greatly appreciate it. However, this is a room for you to be creative in,and productive.
And while you don't mind listening to some of his ideas. You do need him to understand this and appreciate the fact, that he wouldn't want you to be remodeling his shop area according to how you think it should be.lol Maybe that will help.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:01 PM

I'm having the same problem hun. He is building me a place of my own but so far the only thing I have gottten is a window. He keeps talking about how HE wants me to decorate it. haaaaa I love him to death but geeeeee. I told him to build it the way he wants but I would take care of the inside. Only time will tell.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:27 PM

First of all I have to say I feel for you. I also agree with the ones who are saying it is YOUR room and stand firm. Next, I have to say that by page 5 I realized how lucky I am to have my hubby. I have a lovely sewing room; he does whatever improvements I need with no comments. He knows it's my room and does what he can to make me happy. We have problems in other ways, but he's still a keeper. (It will be 41 years for us this November.)
Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 PM

Men and their egos!! I'm about to get my own space - half of our new garage will be mine and believe it or not he has come up with the first change while I was reading this thread. As I'm paying for most of this (he's paying for the slab) I AM going to have it my way. There will be No compromise.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:53 PM

It reminds me of my dad. He was an engineer with Boeing. When they were remodeling their kitchen my dad was sure they needed an island in the middle with a sink. So my mom pulled a table into the center of the room and asked him if he really felt it was necessary to have to walk around it all the time. He gave up and listened to her after that.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:08 AM

I just reminded my DH that since he designed his office space I WILL design my sewing space.

It's only fair that you make it the way you want it.