Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Orca bay mystery picture thread >

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Orca bay mystery picture thread

Old 01-24-2012, 11:17 AM

Default What would you do?

I can't believe I messed up with the directions of the blue squares. I was looking at the completed quilt of Bonnie's, but decided it would be easier to follow the EQ picture so I think in doing that I got confused. I started with the black square and have the strips pointing towards them. I should have started with the white squares and had the strips pointing to them. Can you see what I'm talking about? How do you think that will effect the outcome of the total look? I'm thinking I'm not concerned enough to rip and resew. It's only two rows but I'm still working on the steps which I didn't finish before sewing the rows together. I'm struggling with the repetitive small pieces and need to just get this finished and move on. Have several tops I need to get quilted and another quilt for a friend that I want to finish. I think this is what is making me so restless and finding it hard to finish up. I'm making it a lap size also or I know I'd give up. Bonnie says no whining, but I sure am! LOL
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Orca Bay.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	305869  
Old 01-24-2012, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by allets View Post
I can't believe I messed up with the directions of the blue squares. I was looking at the completed quilt of Bonnie's, but decided it would be easier to follow the EQ picture so I think in doing that I got confused. I started with the black square and have the strips pointing towards them. I should have started with the white squares and had the strips pointing to them. Can you see what I'm talking about? How do you think that will effect the outcome of the total look? I'm thinking I'm not concerned enough to rip and resew. It's only two rows but I'm still working on the steps which I didn't finish before sewing the rows together. I'm struggling with the repetitive small pieces and need to just get this finished and move on. Have several tops I need to get quilted and another quilt for a friend that I want to finish. I think this is what is making me so restless and finding it hard to finish up. I'm making it a lap size also or I know I'd give up. Bonnie says no whining, but I sure am! LOL
No whining, it attracts the Quilt Police. Just consider your quilt a variation of the original design. I think most of us have done or are planning to change our Mystery Quilt to suit our own tastes. I like what you have done so far. I am thinking that when it is quilted you will end up very pleased with it. If not, then gift it to someone and I am sure they will love it.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Allets, I think that as long as you are consistent, it won't make any difference. Who knows, we may all like your version much better! It's such a subtle change that I would not start over if I were you.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

Allets, Your quilt is going to be beautiful!!! The pattern that Bonnie designed this time is so busy that I would not rip and change it. Noone said that our quilts have to be exactly like Bonnie's. I know there were some people on yahoo that were talking about using the pieces and designing their quilts the way they want them.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:24 PM

Allets your quilt will be beautiful just the way it is! No one, but you, will know it was suppose to be put together with the blues going the opposite way. So what, it does not matter!
Old 01-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Difference is only very subtle Allets. I wouldn't change it unless it REALLY bothers you.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 PM

Allets, I arranged my string blocks the same way you did yours as I liked it this way, well, initially it was by accident (but I will deny that later,lol) but then I thought it looked nice, and as long as you are consistent, I think it works this way too.
Old 01-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
​Here it is! I decided on the blue border instead of white! Love it!
Your quilt looks great!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by candi View Post
Allets, I arranged my string blocks the same way you did yours as I liked it this way, well, initially it was by accident (but I will deny that later,lol) but then I thought it looked nice, and as long as you are consistent, I think it works this way too.
Ok, thanks everyone that makes me feel better. I too will say I liked it better that way. LOL It will be interesting to say the least when it's completed if it gives the same affect. Two rows isn't really enough to get the big picture.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:19 PM

Tada!!!! The center of my Orca Bay is finished Or is it? I need to make the quilt bigger...like 30'' wider and 20'' longer and I have been playing around my EQ trying to find a pleasing border combination and nothing is jumping out at me. So I am thinking, even though I don't really want to,lol, I am going to make more blocks..unless I can think of a border idea. Right now though I am tired of this quilt and no even sure I like it, so I am going to keep thinking on it while I work on a different project.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]307052[/ATTACH]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	OB.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	307052