Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it? >

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Ever start a quilt & quit because you aren't happy with it?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:31 AM

yes, yes, oh yes. I've made some that look like a dog's breakfast. One went to the bottom of my dog's kennel. Some got cut up and sent to dog shelters.
More recently I made a star sampler that was just too ugly. It also turned out to be huge and I didn't want to give up that much batting and backing fabric to something i didn't love.
A friend saw it and loved it because the colours were perfect for her den. So I cut a strip of blocks off all four edges and bound the middle section and gave it to her. I joined up the four strips with another plain strip in the center and bound that for a couch throw. I use that every day. And best of all , it doesn't matter if my dog lays on it too.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:00 AM

I actually REALLY like the DP9 quilts, and will probably finish this one (eventually) into a couch quilt for him. Maybe drab camo just isn't "cheery" enough for this time of year!! PLUS he wants to paint his room blue (figures). I'm thinking about maybe taking it camping with us this year and finishing it on the hand crank since it's a simple quilt to do. MAYBE I could even figure out how to make it into a Quillow! That would fulfill part of my New Years resolution to try new things. My ideas just keep evolving...
Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by thenonnielady View Post
Happy Birthday. And many more.
Thanks! Tomorrow's the big day,and hubby said he could take me for a ride in the morning to Lancaster. LOVE that place.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Deleted it duplicated....sorry

Last edited by bjhumes; 01-25-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old 01-25-2012, 08:38 AM

YES I found a mix of leftover 4 patches from quilts I made many years ago in my closet...the 2 people that have the quilts from these...have threadbare quilts and need new ones....OK I start a pattern I see in Quick Quilt mag. Jun. 2010 with these. It has taken me so long to do it (A.) it's done in triangles or blocks on diagonal.(B) he needs KING and that means more material more blocks (C) I'm afraid of triangles..it had 25 triangles to finish edges..well that scared ME! It's done and my son told me this is my prettiest quilt EVER! Go figure!

Last edited by bjhumes; 01-25-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:53 PM

Yes, I cut a stack and whack smaller than I like, so it is just sitting there. Finish the quilt. Let him use as much as possible. Might surprise you and last quite some time. Then in the future, a year or two, you can make a more "grown up" quilt.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:32 PM

mia culpa, I put those blocks aside, and use them in other quilts... I also have a lot of Walmart fabric, and some of my quilts are more than 10 years old, and one has been washed at least once a week for the past 8 years because its his favorite. I've not been disappointed in their fabric., but I give it the "feel touch".
Old 01-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Quilting,,, It is an art form, if you are not inspired, you will not do a good or even satisfactory job. The joy of quilting, for me anyway, is the way I feel working with the fabric. I admit, that as I am coming to the end of a project, I do start to think of the next one waiting. It's not a crime to change your mind on a particular piece when you just don't want to work on it any longer especially if the fabric is not to your liking. This is not life & death, it's supposed to be a hobby.
Give yourself a break and either toss it, make something else with the material or give it away. It's OK......
Old 01-25-2012, 04:28 PM

I also started a disappearing 9-patch and early on realized that I just didn't like anything about that quilt. I ended up passing it along to a dear friend (also with the fabrics to finish it) who really likes that pattern. This way there was not guilt because she donated the completed quilt to Project Linus & I didn't have another UFO visiting me in my UFO nightmares 0
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler View Post
Just wondering if I'm wasting my time. I started a quilt for my son (very simple disappearing 9-patch), and as I go on I'm hating it because the fabric I used (because of all the colors) was cheap. I'm thinking about bailing & just maybe using the blocks I already finished for a small couch throw, and starting a new one with better fabrics.

Anytbody else do this? Am I nuts for wasting my time? I have everything cut out, and probably finished about 3 rows.
Oh boy, do I ever know that feeling. Earlier last year I decided to make a quilt as a Christmas gift for my son-in-law who loves bears. Found wonderful fabrics at my local quilt shop: panels with bears, batiks, lots of tone on tone fabrics that go well with the bear panels. I made many bear paw blocks and started laying it out, trying to figure out where to cut the panels to get the best effect. Never did figure that out. I actually started to hate the darn thing. So I gave up for this past Christmas. I think I have found a pattern that will work well without cutting the panel to pieces and maybe use only a few bear paw blocks. Anyway, I am sick and tired of it and will wait till closer to next Christmas to work on it. On to easier things that I like right now. Good luck to you.