Pet Peeve on TV

Old 01-25-2012, 10:58 AM

As a former retired criminal defense lawyer believe me when I say that if the average female detective looked and dressed like the ones on TV they would not only be inviting serious problems on the street and certainly when making an arrest. I also suspect that they would be more likely to have some problems with some of their colleagues. If you dress like a hooker on the job don't be surprised if you are treated like one.

Re: newscasters: It isn't just the cleavage. I've seen on some so called news shows where the so called newscasters are exposed 2/3 up the thighs. A mildly dumpy 45 or 50 year old woman couldn't get a job on TV news regardless of her ability to do the job. Where are the anti discrimination folks?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:26 PM

I love the heels and white pants when processing a crime scene and I don't know about you but I can barely walk in heels forget running.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
or how the portrayed law enforcement agents are dumb or bumbling with one notable exception? Or how they can devote hours and hours of time to one case? or how the DNA results are immediately returned? or how the commercials get really loud? Or how the female officers, such as on CSI all wear and can run in heels? over uneven ground? yeah, right. Or how they find the exact one hair that leads to successful resolution of the case?

OK, Laurie, back off.... I could go on!
i agree , my husband is inLaw Enforcement and i dont know of any of his female co workers dressing this way !! and im sure him being there supervisor if they did he would send them home !!!!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:16 PM

My dh is a retired CSI and all of them, male ane female, wore tactical polo shirts with a logo and tactical cargo pants and boots. He usually stripped down in the garage when he got home from a scene and hopped in the shower!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:13 PM

You're all right--They're everywhere since that wardrobe malfunction on the super bowl ad. A friend of mine has a wheel cover on her vehicle that says, "Save the Ta Tas" in pink that always makes me laugh, though. TV is getting more obscene by the day!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 PM
Power Poster

I hate it when the character still has their shoes on and lies on the bed....and even worse when they throw the suitcase on the bed to open/unpack.....
Old 01-25-2012, 08:35 PM

We were just talking about this at work! Why do the hosts on Food network need to have such low cut tops?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:46 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the great responses to my thread!! I know we all can't be of the same generation and it's refreshing to read that we basically have the same views! I have even had to start monitoring the children's shows on Nick and Disney because of the way the characters are being disrespectful but trying to make it funny. And the shows like I Carly are just kids being sassy and I notice there are no "adults" in the shows. I heard the commercial with the word bad*** tonight and it was around 6 to 6:30...definitely family hour!

I know that cable shows have different rules compared to regular networks but I really don't see any difference between the 2. Just disgusting at times.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM

Here on Baltimore tv news the female reporters, even weather ladies are out of business suits and in tight low cut after five attire. I've given up on tv news, and listen to the radio.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:14 PM
KLO

Well, it appears that it is all about what sells the show and that would be T & A. I was happy to read from some actual CSI and other police/detective related people who set us straight. It's good to know that TV portrayal is not reality. Thanks for that.