Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along >

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

Old 01-24-2012, 07:28 PM

come right on and join the fun. there is time to work out any kinks since you will have time to get the steps together and plenty of help from us.

Originally Posted by Jmncolts View Post
I don't really know how "confident" I am as a beginner..but I finally got the nerve to buy and check out this magazine's mystery quilt! Going to "try" and jump in with you guys...if that's okay?!
-Jeanette
Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 PM
Power Poster

Jmncolts WOO HOO Jump in the water is wonderful Welcome aboard
Old 01-24-2012, 07:42 PM

I just read somewhere today about "tips" where it said when you have squares that are to be made into triangles by diagonally cutting them to be sewed to other half square triangles....it is best to mark the square diagonally and also mark a line 1/4" on both sides of the center line (do this on one square in a duo set).....then placing squares facing each other...sew the squares together on the two seams on either side of the center mark...open your seam and press,,,,thus putting less stress on these bias pieces...(wow...now I can read some more---LOL)
Old 01-24-2012, 08:12 PM

i use this method to cut my hst's whenever possible. it puts no stress on the bias. try it on a coupla practice pieces and see what you think.

http://whipup.net/2011/03/17/guest-b...are-triangles/

the missouri quilt company has a how to video also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekYpJzHoW6E

Originally Posted by judy baker View Post
I just read somewhere today about "tips" where it said when you have squares that are to be made into triangles by diagonally cutting them to be sewed to other half square triangles....it is best to mark the square diagonally and also mark a line 1/4" on both sides of the center line (do this on one square in a duo set).....then placing squares facing each other...sew the squares together on the two seams on either side of the center mark...open your seam and press,,,,thus putting less stress on these bias pieces...(wow...now I can read some more---LOL)

Last edited by Havplenty; 01-24-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by dluvs2quilt View Post
Here are my fabrics , almost done with part one.
Wow, some more beautiful here. Love your choices dluvs2quilt!
Old 01-25-2012, 07:52 AM

I'm excited. March/April issue arrived yesterday in the mail. But it will a day or twwo before I can begin part 2.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
come right on and join the fun. there is time to work out any kinks since you will have time to get the steps together and plenty of help from us.
Jeanette, we would love to have you join us. This is only the second mystery quilt that I have attempted to make. So I intend to ask questions as I go along. I don't piece a lot of quilts, but I certainly enjoy quilting them.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM

i'm thinking my new subscription will not start with this issue (i havent received the current issue yet)so i will need to purchase it. the website i purchased from for the last issue has jacked up the prices, oh my. now it is $8.75 postage paid to get the current issue instead of $5.99 postage paid for the last issue. oh well i guess the cost of everything is going up but this new price is still much cheaper than me shopping stores to find the issue with the price of gas. i am ordering it today.

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
I'm excited. March/April issue arrived yesterday in the mail. But it will a day or twwo before I can begin part 2.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
Jeanette, we would love to have you join us. This is only the second mystery quilt that I have attempted to make. So I intend to ask questions as I go along. I don't piece a lot of quilts, but I certainly enjoy quilting them.
this is only my second one also. i have been hesitate to do mystery quilts because i am not a traditionalist when it comes to patterns and styles of quilts. but the one on new years day and this one seem to fit my aesthetics better. plus i have a great group to sew along with.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM

WalMart has the next issue out, to be displayed until 4/2/12 with part 2 of the 3 part series.