Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Could just bawl!!!  Please give suggestions! >

Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions!

Could just bawl!!! Please give suggestions!

Old 01-27-2012, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by mississippiqltr View Post
Cut block a smaller size square and border it would be my suggestion. It would be the easiest solution.
Take a break have a chocolate bar and something to drink, relax then go back to it.
This is what I would do too. maybe more than one chocolate tho.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by mommabear62 View Post
I could just bawl and tear my hair out. I have been working on a quilt for my 7 year old granddaughter. One block is entirely applique. Have never done this before and if I never do it again that will be too soon! Well anyway, I have put everything on the background and ironed everything on. Looks ok but really need lots of practice with this. I was to cut the block now to 12 1/2 inches. I made one cut and realized I should not have done this!! Now my block is way off center because of the way I made that one cut. Can I just take the applique's off and spray baste them onto another piece of background? I do not have enough material to cut everything out and start all over again and after the trouble I had I really wouldn't want to do this either. Can the applique pieces be saved!!!!
I feel your pain. I don't know the answer to your question, but I am going to follow this because I am prone to things like this happening and will want to know what to do when it happens to me! I really do hope the answer it 'yes you can pull off the applique a re-use it. Good luck!
Old 01-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
This is what I would do too. maybe more than one chocolate tho.
Well, see now? There have been so many great solutions suggested for your problem from this great group! Everybody is so helpful and great! Now you have several answers, and so have I (re. my last post just above this one)
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 PM

Don't dispair. All is not lost. Put this aside, cont. on next block, later when other blocks are made insert this one and make it a special one. Look at it for a couple of days and I'm sure something will come to you that will make it a very special block. Just remember, your granddaughter will love it because her nana make it. Grandchildren do not see our mistakes, just our LOVE.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:05 PM

And just think ... when she is older and has loved on this quilt for many years, you will have such a story to tell her. "See this block right here, the one with the applique? Well, let me tell you about that block!" Just another bonding experience in the making!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Perhaps you could add a small border around the four sides of the appliqued block to frame it and then it would be the size you need. It would look like it was intended to be a design element.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by mississippiqltr View Post
Cut block a smaller size square and border it would be my suggestion. It would be the easiest solution.
Take a break have a chocolate bar and something to drink, relax then go back to it.
My sentiments exactly. The other suggestions are good but very time consuming. This is supposed to be enjoyable. Happy sewing!
Old 01-27-2012, 05:29 PM

You've gotten plenty of good advice here already. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:30 PM

Get some coffee, a piece of chocolate, and remember this is for a 7 year old. She is not goint to know there is a
flaw in the design. All she will know is my granny made this for me and she will love it regardless. As for what
the others mentioned. Cut a new background. and do a decorative stitch putting the 2 together. It will work out.
we all want to see a picture when finished.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM

cut it down all arround +add sashing-----dont give up on applique there are lots of tricks to be learned --one of which always cut the background piece bigger then cut back after sewing the pieces on as it will possibly shrink it a bit[for next time]