Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along >

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

McCalls Quilting Jan/Feb 2012 / 3 month mystery quilt along

Old 01-28-2012, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by nancia View Post
i played the midnight raider tonight and went over to w/m. was able to get the mar/ april issue but still haven't found my jan/feb issue. hope i do soon! i don't want to be too far behind everyone! hopefully joann's still has the 1st issue! caroline, what post is your fabric? i'd love to see it! my daughter shows no interest- so you have a good news/ bad news sort of situation lol, lucky you! i'd be delighted, personally!
I haven't posted my fabric choices yet. Waiting for good sunlight so I can take pictures outside. Hope to do that today. I have had no luck finding the magazines at Joannes, both the first one and now the second. That is why I ordered mine online. I think I will likely subscribe to McCalls Quilting so I can get Part 3 without running around searching for it.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
Personally, I don't like stripes, but the colors that you have chosen to go with the strips, work very well together!
Thanks for your honesty! I was worried about stripes (seeing as no one picked them on here or in the magazine?!) I don't mind them.. not in love with them, but they were kind of growing on me with the others?! I might look again! How would you feel with keeping the brown as B?? Would it bother you having the dark being so much yardage? or would you move the green to B and move brown to C?? Thanks again for your help!! Feeling like I'm going to be a bother to you all because I already feel lost! Ugh...feel free to kick me out at any time!! ha!
-Jeanette
Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 AM

i love your color palatte. the other fabrics will brighten up the brown. i love stripes and think they add dimension. i am making a dutch pinwheel quilt now using one striped fabric. it is probably a safe bet to use the large green print as your "b" fabric instead of your "c" fabric since we have no idea what the quilt pattern is. to me the brown tonal looks right at home. as the other prints have a lot going on design wises, the smaller brown print gives some balance. this of course is just my opinion.

Originally Posted by Jmncolts View Post
Wow!! Thanks for all the welcoming posts...and I am so glad you also welcome questions along the way because..well.. there will probably be a lot!! Ha!
Here's the first!! ..

So I guess the other fabric selection option is:
A: Multi color stripe
B: Two tone green
C: Some sort of Brown
D: Blue

Thoughts?!
Any insight being more experienced with laying out a quilt and color selections?!

Thanks for your help!
I hope to go today!
Jeanette
Old 01-28-2012, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Havplenty View Post
i love your color palatte. the other fabrics will brighten up the brown. i love stripes and think they add dimension. i am making a dutch pinwheel quilt now using one striped fabric. it is probably a safe bet to use the large green print as your "b" fabric instead of your "c" fabric since we have no idea what the quilt pattern is. to me the brown tonal looks right at home. as the other prints have a lot going on design wises, the smaller brown print gives some balance. this of course is just my opinion.
Thanks for your help!!
So you are thinking you would use green for B and Brown for D?!
B: Two tone green
C: Some sort of Brown
D: Blue

Or: Use the Brown for B (big yardage) as pictured:
B: Brown
C: Blue
D: Two toned green

Thanks again!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Fabriclovr

Its your quilt, you are the only one it has to please. I have found that when I ask others for their opinions on color, they steer me away from what the fabrics and my feelings are telling me to do for that quilt and go with their own. In the long run, its what is pleasing to you, not us.

I think stripes have their place in certain blocks. Not all blocks are suitable for stripes or directional fabric and may actually detract from the block itself. I find that stripes take a lot planning to get just right.. again, that's my opinion and there are lots on this list what will agree and disagree with me.. again, its your choice.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:50 AM

if you like stripes then use them as this is your quilt and anything goes. my main fabric is a black print so my "b" fabric is a light pink (the one i had most yardage of) and the red & turquoise i am using as "c" & "d" fabrics are mediums so i have no idea how this quilt will turn out but i k now the colors work and i added fabrics with texture so here's hoping for the best. i would say just enjoy the fabrics and fabric colors you choose. our personal likes/dislikes about patterns does not need to factor into your decisions about what you choose for your quilt.

Originally Posted by Jmncolts View Post
Thanks for your honesty! I was worried about stripes (seeing as no one picked them on here or in the magazine?!) I don't mind them.. not in love with them, but they were kind of growing on me with the others?! I might look again! How would you feel with keeping the brown as B?? Would it bother you having the dark being so much yardage? or would you move the green to B and move brown to C?? Thanks again for your help!! Feeling like I'm going to be a bother to you all because I already feel lost! Ugh...feel free to kick me out at any time!! ha!
-Jeanette

Last edited by Havplenty; 01-28-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Power Poster

My only concern with the strips , since we don't know where we are going with the pattern is getting the the strips all the same way or will they all be in different directions ? Does that make sense ?

Pick colors you like and go with it
Old 01-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post
My only concern with the strips , since we don't know where we are going with the pattern is getting the the strips all the same way or will they all be in different directions ? Does that make sense ?

My concern as well.. great minds! LOL

Old 01-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Thanks for all your replies! I REALLY appreciate it! I guess my biggest concern is not changing my fabric on others personal preferences but my newness to color values etc! My biggest hang up is the yardage of fabic B..lol! I feel like it will set the tone of the whole blanket depending if it's the brown or the green since they are asking for so much?! I feel like if I knew more about "values" I could make a better choice hence hounding you all about it lol! This may be a "live and learn" situation! I will send a new pic after I (hopefully) decide tonight! I'm probably over thinking it as I tend to do that with everything!!

Thanks again for all your help!!
-Jeanette
Old 01-28-2012, 08:45 AM

in the tips for choosing fabric it is stated there that you can use directional prints for fabrics "a" & "d"and that would include stripes. i am sure as we move through the directions there will be some way to "see" what is going on. you can always make a test block first and have a backup if it doesnt seem right to you. i am a designer at heart (and by training) so i make things work for me and i choose what is pleasant to my eye.

it is just not in my nature to discourage others from using fabrics that they may like but if i can i would rather help them find a solution to use them.

Originally Posted by sharon b View Post