Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you respond to ...... >

How do you respond to ......

How do you respond to ......

Old 08-20-2009, 10:52 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Originally Posted by Ruth Camp
I just say no I don't have time and I don't sell them. because its a very expensive hobby. Unless they are dense they get it :D
Sew_lulu:
Ruth has the best answer I have heard yet. I would use that one definetly and I will remember it for me for the future. WTG Ruth.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Get this...
I had a friend for several years finally be invited into my quilt room. Much to my horror was her responce to my stash and quilts (mostly tops) and a few in my curios that were quilted. She said angrily, why do you store all your quilts? Why don't you bless others with your talents. How many can one person need?
I'm sorry your "friend" has behaved as she has. It's very hurtful when that happens.

I think my final response would be a big Forget YoU and may your God bless you and keep you. I, however . . . . .

I suppose if I was more evolved, it would be "I forgive you . . . ."

Old 08-20-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
....... may your God bless you and keep you. I, however . . . . .
I suppose if I was more evolved, it would be "I forgive you . . . ."
i hope that happens for her, because i can't see anyone else wanting to keep her.

and she's the one who hasn't evolved. does she also stamp her feet? and why can't people sweetly say "i'm sorry, but it's none of your business" anymore?

is this all because she couldn't make a quilt, therefore no one else (you) can have them?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:52 PM

I'm a new quilter, so no one's asked yet...however, im a hardcore-obsessive knitter, and people ask a lot.

I've come to the decision that "I only knit for trade with other creators" (crafters/artists/artisans) and, this approach seems to work pretty well.

Currently I'm knitting a pair of socks for my best friends boss--now granted, best friend and I both work at ren faire, and my friend's boss is my boss's...lady friend...and I ADORE the woman I'm knitting for, so I would have done it eventually anyways...but she designed and fabricated THE MOST PERFECT pair of earings to go with a "good luck" necklace that I always wear. It doesn't matter that she designed and made the earings in less than 2 hours, and I'm spending 20+ hours knitting her socks--she's ecstatic about the socks, and the earings are perfect--I can't wait to wear them on my fancy dress up theater date with the boy next week (I'm a manufacturing engineering / applied math student...I never have an excuse to wear anything other than jeans/teeshirts/steel-toes...Im excited to get prettied up.)

best friend's co-worker on the other hand (whom I do not care for) repeatedly said "make me a pair of socks!" as if demanding it...eventually told her I only do it for trade, and she took the hint--she has nothing to offer, and I'm fine with that. She wouldnt appreciate the work that goes into it anyways.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 PM

I am new and I have yet to be asked for one or anything else I make.
Maybe thats because I dont get out and no one knows what all I craft lol.

But i have a hard time saying no to anyone so I will have to keep some of these in the back of my mind :)

plus even though I just started quilting my list of gifts is growing as I keep think ohh that person would love a quilt, so would that person lol
Old 08-20-2009, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

make (finish) at least one quilt before committing/promising ANY -

Making quilts can be a very expensive and time-consuming activity-
Old 08-20-2009, 09:16 PM

I always say you couldn't afford one of my quilts. I'm not that quick and when you take into account material cost and time it would be very costly. I give away all my quilts but rarely do I make one for someone who has asked I give tham as an occasion gift.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
make (finish) at least one quilt before committing/promising ANY -

Making quilts can be a very expensive and time-consuming activity-
Ohh I know I havent told anyone that they would be getting any. I just think ohh this color would be nice for this person, or my dad would really like a quilt and so on
lol
I have ADD I know I have trouble finishing projects and my interest change from season to season lol
I would have a mob after me if I promised quilts to everyone :)
Old 08-21-2009, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

MissMermaid, I like your approach...thats a great idea!
Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 AM

Location: Originally from NY, now retired in Argentina. Miss the USA!!! :-(

Alaska, I read your story and my heart went out to you. As for me, I would not waste any more time, tears or explainations on this woman, she is not my definition of a friend. She showed her true colors with the tile incident!!
Here is quote that says it all....
"God save me from my friends - I can protect myself from my enemies." -- Proverb
You know what you do and you donot have to explain that to anyone. A friend would never ask you to defend yourself or your choices. Just go on with what you do and hold your head up high.
She obviously is a very sad and jealous person.
Smile girl and enjoy, life is way too short for anything else!

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
Get this...
I had a friend for several years finally be invited into my quilt room. Much to my horror was her responce to my stash and quilts (mostly tops) and a few in my curios that were quilted. She said angrily, why do you store all your quilts? Why don't you bless others with your talents. How many can one person need?

I nearly cried right there! She went on to say why don't you give them away? Why don't you make quilts for newborns in need? I wanted to faint!
Oh I told her I have given of my time & talents. But I was in such shock that I couldn't tell her what was rolling around in my head. When she left I told my husband what had happened and he was furious!!! I sat down and tearfully wrote her an e-mail and told her about all the 75 people I had made quilts for. I went into GREAT detail on why each person got one from me. She was stunned to realize she is not who I give an account to. I told her many times only my husband and God knew who I was quilting for.
She wrote me back I had no idea, sorry. I went on to tell her often my gifts from my husband are fabric. If I have a birthday, annniversaryetc I ask for fabric, and generally it will be made into a quilt for someone else.

I have given most of my "labors of love" to date 78 quilts to strangers. They have been far more gracious. A lady I gave one to entered it into a show and it placed Grand Champion. I have never given away quilts I don't love myself.

I don't understand why some people are so hurtful to think WE have all the time & money and they don't. Their loss!
P.S. The friend took a quilting class with me about 1 1/2 years before her comment . She complained the whole way...omg money for this and money for that. class fee, fabric, cutter, ruler,thread,gas,time. She never finished her quilt. She and her husband tiled their entire entry and kitcken and I asked if they could help us learn how to do it. I told her I would pay for all materials. I am just a hands on learner. Her responce was get a book it is really easy!.hummm