Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter? >

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

What is a reasonable Turn Around Time to expect from a Longarm Quilter?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM

As a longarmer, I do try hard to get my customers quilts done asap. I have taken in quilts and was asked to get done in two days so she can leave to Alaska. Guess what, it was done. Nothing complicated mind you, but done. Meeting the deadline for a gift on the whole takes priority to me. If I am in the middle of a show quilt that is on the machine, then you will hear from me a few weeks, if any sooner, you need to let me know, otherwise will be 3-4 weeks. I do work a full-time job as well as quilt for others. I also do bookkeeping for others on the side. Meeting the customers request is priority. You have to talk with the LA so you and her have a good relationship. I do know other LA in my area can be out 6-8 months and others who can do them in two weeks. All depends on how many customers they have, the detail in the quilting, and of course deadlines. Talk with her!!!!
Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM

I'm a LA'er also. I don't put a quilt on my list until I have it in my possession. That way I don't have to wait for a quilt. But when they bring it, I ask when they need it or tell them how long I think it will be. I can't always give them a definite date, but if they have a deadline, I usually try to get it done for them. My turn-around time runs 4-6 weeks except at Christmas when it can be 8-9 weeks. Some quilters are much busier than I am. Sometimes life gets in the way, and sometimes I just get lazy, but if they told me a deadline, I do my level best to get it done for them. It's my integrity on the line. I care about my reputation!
Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 PM

I would take the 4 week date, and then give her a call after a couple of weeks to 'see how you are coming' with my quilt.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:59 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I take my quilts (usually 3 at a time) to my LQS and she has 4 or 5 LAQ that she uses. If it's custom, I can only use one of them, otherwise she calls the quilters and sees how backed up they are and then we go with the fastest. I never have contact with the LAQ at all. My LQS gal has all the binders with the different quilting motifs and she and I go thru them and decide which one to use and then we decide on the color. She writes it all on a form and then gives the LAQ we chose a call and puts me in line. It usually takes 2-3 weeks. At Christmas it took 1 week because I specifically told her I had to bind it and mail it before Christmas. My old LAQ would take months, so now I drive 1 hour to get my quilts done. And it's worth it
Old 01-30-2012, 07:21 PM

As a longarmer, I can tell you that I am already out two months getting orders done. I had twelve quilts from last December I took in that I had permission from the owners to do them after the new year. So that already set me out one month. I have already received another 20 quilts since the first of January. I am now telling all my customers it will be April before I can have them back to them. I work 10 - 12 hours, 7 days a week with very little time to quilt for myself. Every once in a while I can work in a quilt that needs to be done for a gift earlier than the two month time frame. But I can tell you with 32 quilts hanging in the closet I should be out three months so that I can have some time for myself. So I would say if you really like the work that your longarmer is doing be patient with her. Not everyone is willing to give up every hour of their day to quilt for others.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:12 PM

I would also like to add that it is extremely important to me that all my customers are satisfied when they drop off their quilts and when they pick them up. I have yet to be late giving any customer their quilt back on time, especially if the give me an exact date they need it by. And I probably only have twenty-one or twenty-two quilts hanging because I have gotten ten out of the twelve quilts done that was promised after the new year. It is always a blessing to me when a quilter entrust me with their quilt and I want to keep that trust, so I usually wind up working ten to twelve hour days to make sure all my work is done on time and with the quality that my customers like and are use to.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM

My turnaround time is 30 days. I stay in touch with my customers. I always ask the need by date, and make sure that it is done on time. This is just good customer service. If they act like they don't need your business, go somewhere else.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM

I agree with ckcowl! U gave her three tries. I think that would be it for me! Especially sinceshe didn't call!!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:47 AM

Turn around is 2-3 weeks with one L A quilter. She is about an hour away from my home, but it is worth the drive. She does a good job and her price is reasonable. Most of the local quilters are so busy that they have waiting lists. Turn around time for them is anywhere from 6 months to a year.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:54 AM

I would tel her I need this at __________ date and also put a note on the quilt when you want it done. Ask her if that is enough time and see what she says.