Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about JoAnn's >

Question about JoAnn's

Question about JoAnn's

Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM

In defense of JoAnn, I worked at a chain that no longer exists. My district manager would let me donate some things but usually when I call the schools or other they would be happy to take if i would drop it off. I was already working a low paying job for 60 hours a week and frankly they didn't want the things that badly if they couldn't pick up. [ If i said it was cash they would have been over right away.] I considered it charitable giving when I tossed things. The dumpster divers were always right there and they came a got it right away.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by emsgranny View Post
OMG - IIf someone wants to draft a letter to corporate offices I am willing to send it in as I am sure many others would too - we could then not limit the number of letters sent just to this board but to the contacts we have elsewhere. Its unfortunate - we cant boycott the stores since all of them have this policy. None of us would have fabric lol (Actually we could probably shop from other peoples stashes for awhile lol) Please pm me if theres a way to do this thanks cheryl
I'd be more than willing to forward a letter to corporate offices & forward on to friends to send, if someone wants to do this.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 AM

I know someone whose son occasionally goes to the "DUNKIN DONUTS" at certain late hours and gets boxes on donuts before they would have been tossed into the dumpster.......according to "law" I guess, if they donate and someone gets "sick" there could be a gigantic law suit.

My daughter once (for about a week) worked at a distribution center for Mernard's...same thing there with returns.....dumped. Granted some things were broken, pieces missing but many things were just returned because customer decided did not want and into the dumpster it goes....and employees are not allowed to take anything home...all must be destroyed.....see how wasteful we are!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
sadly this is the norm now....even at Hancocks....after it hits a certain % off if it does not sell, into the dumpster it goes! So sad...BUT they are a business and that means they need to make MONEY..not give their stuff away!
Throwing into the trash makes NO money. Donating it to a non-profit is a tax deduction, so they make money by donating.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:14 AM

In some towns dumpster diving is considered stealing and people can go to jail for it.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:19 AM

girl. I have knocked my head against the wall with Joanns throwing things away. they finally started giving stuff to Good Will. I have worked at Joanns for 3 years. Before I lost my mom 3 months ago I tried for 3 years to get to give the stuff to Moms nursing home or any nursing home. They would of loved it. They have to throw the magazines away too. But I will ask on the ribbon for sure.
We are such a wastefull country. But not us quilters we use every piece lol
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 AM

I worked for a grocery store chain in Houston and you would not belive the food that was trown away,Whole cooked chickens sandwitches and deli stuff. In the dumpster it went. When I asked about donating it it homeless shelter I was told it had been at keeped at the hot temp for the maxamum time allotted and if they gave it away they could be sued if someone got sick. When the homeless people found out about it and tryed to retrve it they built a huge fence around the bins. That made me so sad and 25 years latter it still bothers me
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM

It is sad that they do things this way
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ljfox View Post
Our Goodwill gets things from Target. You can still see the Target marks on them.
I was told last week by a goodwill employee that Target does not donate to goodwill. They sell it to them at a reduced rate. This is why there is a T marked below the price. They would also not give a 25% discount to military and seniors on Wednesdays on items with a T on them.Thought it was interesting that goodwill bought things to sell.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by mjhaess View Post
I was told last week by a goodwill employee that Target does not donate to goodwill. They sell it to them at a reduced rate. This is why there is a T marked below the price. They would also not give a 25% discount to military and seniors on Wednesdays on items with a T on them.Thought it was interesting that goodwill bought things to sell.
My friends DH is one of the "higher ups" in Target. According to him, they donate merchandise after it's been reduced so much and seasonal items that are left/returned.