Need Help

Old 01-31-2012, 06:21 AM

Default Need Help

I have some beautiful fabrics & tons of leftovers from making quilts.

My granddaughter is 14 mos old - she is wearing size 18 mos - 24 mos (we have height in our family), I know I can use the scraps & leftovers for scrap quilts - but can anyone suggest a cute but simple dress or top pattern to use??

My DIL took my to Gymboree to look at clothes - I almost chocked at the prices - even in my favorite area - Clearance.

I could purchase 2-4 yds of fabric for 1 dress - OMG
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 AM

I like KwikSew patterns for my grandchildren. You buy one pattern with 6 or so sizes on it - yes you need to trace the size you want onto tissue paper - BUT - you still have the pattern to use over and over.

They have several easy to sew tops, dresses and skirts.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 AM

Good call, CarrieC!

I have been making clothes for little girls for a long time. I know the problem of paying premium price for clothes that will be outgrown in less than 6 months. That's why I now have scraps to make quilts!

Nearly every pattern company has cute, simple patterns for children. Take a look at JoAnn's, Hancock's, even Wal-Mart if yours still has a fabric area. The simplest patterns are often on racks in the department/store.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:08 AM

There are so many blogs with tutorials to sew cute little girl cloths . Esp cut little skirts and dresses. I think the moda bake shop even has cute skirt instructions.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 AM

I agree with Carrie on this. I use those patterns and just copy all the different sizes.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:05 AM

I make a bunch of kids clothes and there are many simple patterns. Joann's have patterns on sale most of the time especially on latter part of the week for 1.99. One week they might have McCalls or Simplicity, and sometime they have Butterick. Their regular price for patterns is outrageous. If you pay price marked and price of fabric you cannot save on making anything.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 AM

Go to WM and look at their simple to sew patterns; they are a snap to make and take little fabric. That's a great idea and you'll save a lot of money as well because these patterns are some of the cheapest they have. Check the sizing on the back agianst what looks to match your granddaughter.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Got 3 Simplicity patterns last week at Joann's for $.99 each. Sizes 3 to 8 I believe. Just watch the flyers. Sometimes they are $.99 and sometimes $1.99 for McCall's, Butterick and Simplicity, although it has been a while since the Butterick was $.99.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

since she is to be tall, you might also make some sewn in folds in the skirt of the dress and let one down when necessary.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM

I know Gymboree....it is expensive for sure! Joann's has patterns here for .99 very often. Look for the easy ones..they are really the cutest anyway. I love little jumpers..sweet alone in the summer and adorable with tights and sweaters in the fall and winter! they fit over thier heads..easy on and easy off for little girls. My GD loved those best of all when she was younger!