Westie? Maltese? or what?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:24 AM

There are a lot of rescue dogs on the internet - here is one I picked randomly...see if there are any Westies in your area.
http://www.petfinder.com/index.html
Old 02-01-2012, 08:32 AM

We just got a Bichon in October and love her! Very friendly and active! Still not completely potty trained!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=gramajo;4929970]ShihTzus are great. I've had a couple; they are small, friendly, adaptable, cuddly, although they are a little larger than Yorkies & Maltese. My daughter has also had a couple of ShihTzus. She got 2 of hers from ShihTzu rescue group in our area. Both were from families that had to give them up. They were housebroken, obedience trained.

Shih Tzu are great little dogs. We had them for years and also Pekingese. Our present sweet pooch is Pek. My sister-in-law in Texas has 4 Shih Tzu and they are the love of her life. I think your hubby would love the Shih Tzu. Don't forget the Animal Shelters, lovely little dogs there that need homes.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM

Even thou I don't have one now, BEAGLES are my choice.
I have an 8 1/2 year all Tuxedo cat now.
J J
Old 02-01-2012, 09:16 AM

I have a sheltie and she is the absolute love of my life. You talk about happy when mommie gets home. You would think that she was being beaten as much as she "cries" when I get home. I can gaurentee that you will never be met with as much happiness and love from anyone as you will with your dog the min you get home. But I think that you alread know that with 2 big dogs at your home already. I totally agree that I would go with a rescue group first but as you say if you can't find the right dog for you then go with a reputable breeder. The reason I say reputable breeder is that my mom just got a chichihua in July of last year and fell in love with Cassy and got her and the breeder didn't tell her that the little girl had some issues. She was brought back once after the first buyer didn't like her or something, not really sure of the reason. But anyways she is now really coming out of her shell now and is a real looker and a real sweetheart. I would probably really recommend a chi as my moms little dog is only about 3 lbs and will not get any bigger either. I think that most chi's are only about 2-8 lbs at most and are great companions.
As a side note if you are getting an older dog from the breeders please make sure that you ask them how they were potty trained. You don't want to have to try to break bad habbits, it is not easy. Talking from my moms experience.
Hope that you find the right dog and breed for you.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
ShihTzus are great. I've had a couple; they are small, friendly, adaptable, cuddly, although they are a little larger than Yorkies & Maltese. My daughter has also had a couple of ShihTzus. She got 2 of hers from ShihTzu rescue group in our area. Both were from families that had to give them up. They were housebroken, obedience trained.

I have a Bichon now. He's a good guy, but has a mind of his own at times and isn't as cuddly as the ShihTzus. He wants to cuddle on his own terms; he wants to lie a certain way & if I'm not petting him the way he thinks he should be petted, he takes his paw & pushes my hand where he wants it to be. lol Bichons are larger than Yorkies, Maltese & ShihTzus if size is a concern.
I agree on the Shih Tzus. They are fabulous dogs. The one I had for over ten years just passed away and I'm looking for just the right one. It has to be a rescue though.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:40 AM

I got my basenji start from a vet, who also breeds basenjis (we both agree, this is certainly not the breed for the timid). When I asked her about what breed she would recommend, she said, hands down, a pug! She was speaking in terms of health issues, and temperament
Old 02-01-2012, 10:44 AM

OOO, I vote for the Maltese. My son has a Maltese that is so sweet. "he is a lap dog". Loves to go outside, loves to cuddle, Is so sweet. And very smart. I have him all the time. He's my buddy. And he hasn't been sick one time in the four years we've had him. The only down side, He has to be groomed every 8 weeks. Our cocker spaniel in none of those things.
Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
Hey Y'all,

We are beginning a search for a new companion for my DH who is home bound during the days.
The kitties we have are not very talkative, then tend to sleep all day! We have two large outside dogs.
My hubby has thought he wants a Westie, as we have doggie sat several times for a friend who has an adorable Westie named Daisy. She gets to come and visit Feb 11 for another week! yea!

Anyway the price on Westie's is the main issue with them. I am not familiar with Maltese but they look similar. We like the size of the Westie and kinda perfer that size and not much smaller. SO...
my question to all of you in Quilt Land, any suggestions what we should also consider??

The good and bad comments are most welcomed.

Last edited by Judith1005; 02-01-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:51 AM

I am partial to Labradors, but they are bigger dogs. I just favor bigger dogs.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:03 AM

We have a Maltese, among others, and she is just a love. They do bark alot, but they are the ultimate lap dog.