Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question about JoAnn's >

Question about JoAnn's

Question about JoAnn's

Old 02-01-2012, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Covered in Threads View Post
As a former employee of JA it was extremely sad to see this happen. But like many corporate businesses, they actually receive more by writing the item off then giving it away or even putting it on 90% clearance. And dumpster diving is stealing. What a shame it was to see items that needed minor repair/still in good condition/fabulous but slighting flawed items being thrown away. So much waste and so many that could be helped with these items - such as providing equipment/fabrics to help teach others a trade, supplies for organizations making items for those in need, help in fund raising events for various people, supplies for our local schools, etc... Corporates also frond on the required paperwork when items are donated. Our world of rules and regulations make it vertually impossible to help others without it costing those donating the items. It's got to be depressing working at a landfill and to see all this stuff that rightfully should be recycled/repurposed.
I would think once it reached the landfill it would be free to go= I always said if I worked on a garbage truck I would also need a trailer! At a landfill I would have to have a semi! When we had small dumps here there were a lot of people looking, I used to find cool things, sadly the old dumps are replaced by landfills where the promptly bulldoze and compact things.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:55 AM

When I worked in the Sears display department, I had fabric, vinyl, etc. at my disposal to use for creating displays. I was not allowed to take even the smallest remnant or scrap home. All had to be thrown away. Their theory was that I could purposely cut the item with the idea of leaving a usable sized remnant for my own project.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM

The reason merchandise is tossed in the garbage is the fact that it's cheaper to throw out then the cost of returning items to the distributor/manufacturer. As far as dumpster diving, go right ahead. Once an item is in the trash, it is in public. That's why identity theft is so easy. People throwing out papers and the like with personal info on it. The store throwing out the merchandise is suppose to destroy the merchandise first. Simply unrolling ribbon or fabric is not considered destroying. It is supposed to be made "undesirable" to deter diving. The store getting credit has nothing to do with someone else re-purposing an item. If the store did not destroy properly, it's not the fault of others. It my position that re-purposing is doing a great deal of good for landfills and the environment.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 AM

I just looked up Dumpster diving Laws, it is very interesting, you can be arrested for trespassing but other than that it says it is legal in the US. at least according to the links I read. Very interesting.....
Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by newbiequilter View Post
This morning I was parked in the lot across the street from the back of JoAnn's and I saw a JA employee dumping items into a large trash bin. She was tearing the end off small rolls, then unrolling the item (appeared to be ribbon) from the roll and throwing the whole thing into the bin. I know there are some members of this board who have been/are employed by JA and I was wondering if they or anyone else might know why perfectly good items would be thrown away as opposed to donating to schools, senior center, etc. I am not trying to cause trouble for JA, just wondering what might be going on....thanks.
Man what is wrong with people,Looks to me like if it is in the dumpster it is fair game for all.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by Weenween View Post
Man what is wrong with people,Looks to me like if it is in the dumpster it is fair game for all.
Just remember if you are caught trespassing you can be in trouble.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38 AM

They most likey get more using the things as a tax write off rather than donating items. It really is a shame but do watch out because dumpster diving IS considered breaking the law in some areas!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM

And check your local laws before plunging in! In some communities it is ok to take stuff put out for garbage collectin and in someit is not okay. The same for dumpsters. Dumpsters in essence are private property - they belong to someone.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM

FYI: My DDIL worked at Target Corp offices. They do not donate to GW...They sell to GW...really cheaply!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:37 PM

I had an appliance repair at my house once. He got phone calls from Costco, Home Deport and others to pick up returned appliances. I would fix them if need be and sell them. Some had nothing wrong with them. This also went on at Linen's N Things. I returned a sofa cover and found out that it goes in the trash.

With so many people in this country going without because of finances why does this happen? We are a land of plenty, but I thought we were suppose to at least be stewards. To some extent I understand not restocking linens because lawsuits from diseases caught from things are probably far more expensive than throwing the item away.

I know my quilt guild could sure use the stuff Joann's throws away. We make charity quilts for people in the area i.e. nursing homes, women's shelters, birthright centers, adoption day gifts for adopted children.

Originally Posted by SUZAG View Post
When I worked at Home Depot, instead of sending things back to a manufacturer, we would have to put it in the compactor. It was required by the manufacturer and the employees could not take it. It's call a "field destroy"...