Westie? Maltese? or what?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000 View Post
I have a Bichon-Maltese and they take a lot of brushing and grooming once a month. I pay $85. per grooming and her hair grows rapidly. My avatar are my Pom and long haired Chihuahua. Chi's are fantastic. Always ready for love and/or a snooze. They are know as the couch potatoes of dogdom. No grooming problems and beautiful dispositions.
6-8 lbs.
Bichon's hair can be kept shorter so you don't have so much to brush. Mine is mixed with poodle and her fur is curlier than regular Bichon, and I just keep her cut shortish. She can't tolerate it when a groomer tries to make her look like a Bichon. They can do it, but it totally doesn't like it. It goes back to 'her' look, anyway. She is such a faithful companion dog--unless there is someone else here that she wants to spend her time with.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 AM

one thing about shelter dogs that no one has mentioned is the amount of screening and re-training they do to make sure the dogs are appropriate for adoption. many animals are being turned in because their owners just can't afford to keep them any more. it's heartbreaking. i don't think i've picked out more than 2 animals in my whole life. they've always picked out me and i've had very little to say about it. lol. that's why i have 2 dogs and 2 cats. i'd have more but i'm forbidden to go into 'those places' till we have a vacancy. if you want a dog that will encourage your dh to get up and move a westie will do that, so will a schnauzer, and a kccavalier. they like to play. a dog like a lhasa or a szhi zhu that needs brushing would encourage great interaction between the two of them. your dh needs to go with you to help find the dog since in effect it's going to be his. mutt or purebred it's the connection between them that will count the most and seal the deal!
(and don't diss cockers! i have 2 that are like barnacles and i'm the pier! if they aren't touching something's wrong. very loving, very loyal, very sweet.)

Last edited by nancia; 02-02-2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:09 AM

Boston Terrier is always on the top of my list.... Great lap dogs
Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
As a breeder, there is a small part of me that shudders when people price shop puppies. While I understand completely that finances are an important part of life, the breeder in me knows what happens when people price shop for puppies. There are "breeders" and there are people who simply "breed dogs" - there is a great amount of difference between the two, and like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Not the time or place for the "why's" to my statement.

So ... my best suggestion is to first do the research on which breed is right for you, then contact the rescue groups for that breed(s) and inquire about available dogs. Typically, most breed rescue groups require a small fee (which is often tax deductible), and will interview you to make sure that your home is suited to a dog, and to match the right dog to your needs/desires. Rescue people are generally very adept at making sound decisions about which animal will work well in your situation (ie a dog that is already accustomed to cats for example).

here is the link to the National Club's (West Highland White Terrier Club of America) rescue site.
http://www.westieclubamerica.com/rescue/index.html

here is a link to the Maltese rescue site (American Maltese Association).
http://www.americanmalteserescue.org/

And in case you wish to consider another breed, here is a general link to American Kennel Club's list of ALL rescue groups that are affiliated with an AKC member breed Club.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/rescue.cfm

Good luck in your search. I hope you are able to make a needy dog a good home.

Sue
I so agree with this. DO NOT buy a puppy from a pet shop. I saw a news article about a dog valued at over $1,000 stolen from a pet shop. What? Not unless it is a very, very, very rare breed. In which case a pet shop would not have one. Pet shops get their puppies from mills or mass breeders. It is the mother that suffers the most. A reputable breeder will not sell from a pet shop, nor will they sell you a dog without meeting you first. They will also take the puppy back if something is wrong with it or you can no longer keep it. Also, don't pay purebred prices for a mutt like (ready for the rotten tomatoes coming my way!) puggles, labradoodles and such. They are sure to be sweet, but the fact is they are still mutts!

Last edited by Kas; 02-02-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:42 AM

I've never met a dog I didn't love. doesn't have to be a pure breed. I think the mixes are better. The humane society in your area would be a Great place to visit and even the Dog pound. I went a few months ago to look and ended up adopting a corgi mix and a full blood chiawuawua.. I know I didn't spell that right. He was so little and all these big dogs barking and scareing him..I couldn't walk away and leave him in that cage... then I allready have a little terrier mix, and we have a chow/ spitz mix. They all are wonderful lap warmers and great dogs.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:14 PM

I am a toy poodle lover at heart now. They talk to you and love you up. They do not need to be exercised. i would have five of them if my husband would let me. I also think that no matter what kind of dog you decide on, that you get to know them a little bit before you pick one out. Ask the owner what they have noticed about their littler. I have bred my toy poodles and you can tell the personality about a dog by three weeks. That is how I got my Cuddles. She was soft spoken, a cuddler, and easy going. Now our Jasper is all boy, but since he is 14 now, he has slowed down. He is not so much a cuddle guy, but he is mild mannered. Was a little aggresive when kids were outside or when we were not home, which is the guard dog in him. I truly am taken with poodles. Definitely not a Pomeranian, they are high strung and can be more work than worth. I love chiuauahs (SP), but they are high strung as well. Terriers take more work, they are more energetic than you may want. Let us know. Would be fun to see what you decide.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:48 PM

westies are teriers....terra of the earth.i raised dashshunds ,then swicth to rat terriers. the terriers are wonderful dogs, but dashshunds steal my heart.if you go for the maltese, make sure the parents have been check for liver diseases. good luck
Old 02-02-2012, 02:56 PM

English Cocker Spaniels are my favorites -- small, don't shed, do need some grooming, but a nice calm, quiet breed!
Old 02-02-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy View Post
Hey Y'all,

We are beginning a search for a new companion for my DH who is home bound during the days.
The kitties we have are not very talkative, then tend to sleep all day! We have two large outside dogs.
My hubby has thought he wants a Westie, as we have doggie sat several times for a friend who has an adorable Westie named Daisy. She gets to come and visit Feb 11 for another week! yea!

Anyway the price on Westie's is the main issue with them. I am not familiar with Maltese but they look similar. We like the size of the Westie and kinda perfer that size and not much smaller. SO...
my question to all of you in Quilt Land, any suggestions what we should also consider??

The good and bad comments are most welcomed.
I love my little 3 pound Maltese. He is my pride and joy since I live alone (kids are grown), he is so much company to me. I knit, so he has many sweaters as well as fleece coats. He is the joy of my day. Good luck on finding a nice little doggie. I keep his hair cut short otherwise it gets matted, hence the sweaters/coats.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM

Being owned by two westies I'm partial however please research each breed. As been said terriers are high energy but with proper training etc are wonderful ! (ask me how I know). You mentioned you have cats- they can learn to live harmonious but will require work for them to live as a pack ask my cats . Remember the cat is like prey to a puppy! Maltese are smaller and less robust than a Westie. If you go to the akc site you can see all about different breeds. I believe they have or purine site or one of the large dog companies that "help pick a breed". See what comes up. Research is most important. Now with all that said, I choose Westie! Again I'm partial!!!