Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
hand quilting vs machine quilting >

hand quilting vs machine quilting

hand quilting vs machine quilting

Old 02-02-2012, 12:47 PM

I really admire and appreciate hand quilted projects, but I do only very small ones that way. My sister has a LAQ and I pay her to do my big quilts.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:56 PM

I absolutely love the look of hand quilting...have never done it. I have arthritis in my hands and just sewing on a binding by hand hurts. I think machine quilting is lovely too(but still love the look of hand the best). It is a matter of preference. If you dont enjoy doing it, then dont do it.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:33 PM

I hand quilt all the time and love it. I think hand quilting is a dying art.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

While I can admire hand quilted quilts, I do not believe a quilt has to be hand quilted to be considered a family heirloom quilt. If you look back in time, when the sewing machine was first invented, women embraced the sewing machine to help them quilt their quilts. If it was good enough for our ancestors, it should be good enough for us today. If your husband still insists that it be hand quilted, hand him the needle and threat and tell him to go for it, or forever hold his peace. I would like to hand quilt my quilts, however, I have carpal tunnel from years working as a secretary to help support my family, I now machine quilt all my quilts.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 PM

I'd do it for him as a labor of love. He seems to feel strongly about it and I feel from your post that he is making an emotional connection to what the hand quilting means to him. You mentioned his mother hand quilting and a beautiful frame he made for you. The hand quilting would be a gift.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 PM

I like the looks of both hand quilting and machine quilt but I only machine quilt. I know some great ladies in Iowa that hand quilt and I sent one full size quilt to them and they did a beautiful job. But I won't ever hand quilt.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:04 PM

I still hand quilt ..about 6 queen/king a year and I love to do it. But that doesn't mean that is
what everybody should do. It should be a hobby, but if you don't enjoy doing it, it turns into
a job, and that takes the fun out of it.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 PM

I hand quilt only. I have done a number of twins, queens and kings. Yes, they take time. But to me, I love the journey through the process. I have done one heavily quilted in about 6 weeks, but that was working several hours every day. I find it soothing, relaxing and very therapeutic. It would be a loving thing to hand quilt it. Perhaps your hub would learn and work on it with you...
Ellen
Old 02-02-2012, 04:29 PM

I love to hand quilt. I always have one on the frame. I don't care how long it takes me to get them done. I enjoy sitting down and working on it at the end of the day while watching TV. It's relaxing and cheaper than therapy. I also machine quilt either on my domestic machine or my mom's long arm but some quilts just require the beauty of hand quilting.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM

To do justice to a quilt that big, it would take me years to finish it. Machine quilting by even some of the quilters on this board would most likely be beautiful. I love hand quilting, but if you want it done in this lifetime, let him know it must be sent to a longarmer. Great he is interested in your hobby, but he must let you make the decisions on the quilts you produce. Many men are quilting...show him a needle and let him begin.