Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please Help!!! >

Please Help!!!

Please Help!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:34 AM

where I live they have a summer art class for kids. The kids that go to the library can also partake in this class. Last year I donated quite a bit of my yarn, some crocete magazines. You could check with your local schools, some of them have sewing classes, the library in summer( or wherever they hold them). You could also make some fabric bundles and list them on ebay or even here.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:34 AM

Wow, sounds as if you need help. I sent you a pm. Where are you located.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM

If you have a good friend, ask her to help you organize. Remember, just one thing at a time or it will overwhelm you. Just as the others here have said.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Wow I would love to have that problem of to much fabric. How about giving some of it to like the Linus project people are always asking for help. Or you could do like others have done just fill up a few boxes with as much material as you can put into it and put it up for sale on the board. That way you helping someone out with material and you are recouping a little of the money you have put out on all the fabric you have. just a couple of suggestions. good luck, would love to have your problem. lol
Old 02-04-2012, 09:29 AM

I have been making lap quilts for the hospital with cancer kids. Kids love to get things when they are inthe hospital. I also make traveling pillow cases to match. Maybe you can do that with some of your extras. Happy Quilting
Old 02-04-2012, 09:33 AM

I agree with sorting through the fabric (preferably with some help) and seeing what you want to keep.

Also, check and see if there is a local group that makes quilts for veterans. There are also homeless and battered women's shelters, hospitals with Newborn ICU's that may accept quilts (my previous guild donated quilts to the local NICU), and animal shelters.

In addition, there are charities that collect fabric to send overseas where they are teaching people overseas to quilt as a business.

Sent a pm as well.

Last edited by caspharm; 02-04-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:53 AM

I wish I lived in Texas because I would be right over to help you. Make sure that you live instructions of what to do with all that material if you should go before you use it up. Your senior center might have a quilt class that would love your material. Many of t hem make quilts for various organizations.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:29 AM

I don't have the problem of lots of fabric, but I do know how overwhelming it can be when things aren't organized and you feel the weight of it all. If you need any help, I live near S. Austin, and I'm a good organizer. Hope you have a blessed day.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Hi,
I have donated some fabric to my lqs where I quilt at. They have a lady who has a long arm, and she makes up quilts and donates them to various charities. I also try and help out here when someone needs it. As far as "containing it all", I just try to organize a bit at a time, that way it doesn't get so overwhelming...I also am in Texas, not sure of your area, but do you have any close friends who quilt, or do you belong to a quilt club, have a lqs you frequent? If so, maybe y'all could do a trade day...with you not really taking anything back in trade...lol...I love fabric, and even though I have quite a bit of it, sometimes there is just that 1 special color/pattern I may need...so, I am always up for fabric...I figure as long as I "pay it forward" sometimes, its ok for me to collect it, too...
Take care,
Kif
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

The best way to approach this is to start with one container and fill it with fabric. Do not stop and think hey I may need this color, design, or I really like this. Fill it up and take it to your car. Keep doing this until most of the fabric is packed away. Take it all to any non profit thrift store and forget about it. It's the only way to get the burden of too much off your shoulders. If you stop to sort or admire you will be right back where you were and will never get it under control. This works. I do it with my closets and cabinets every year. I fill a bin and get it out of my sight ASAP.