Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
My Grandmother's Treadle Machine unearthed from the garage! >

My Grandmother's Treadle Machine unearthed from the garage!

My Grandmother's Treadle Machine unearthed from the garage!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:31 AM

Wow, and she is a "Red Eye"! How wonderful that you decided to get her out and use her. You will think of your Gram everytime you see her. And how happy your Gram would be to know you appreciate her beloved machine.

Kat
Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 AM

What a wonderful story! I am so glad she will be used again!
Old 02-04-2012, 09:57 AM

What a beautiful machine...even more so because it was your grandma's.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:59 PM

Love it!!!! I have a National(two spool), that was given to me by a nurse that took care of me when I was small. Not sure of the year model.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:23 PM

I have 2 treadles -- my MIL's which was born in April 1941, her name is Essie and she sews a beautiful straight stitch, and I cherish her. I also have dh's grandmother's treadle, which was born in 1901. She is either a Red Eye or a Sphinx, I can't remember which at the moment. She is in the garage awaiting a new cabine, a new leather belt and for me to find a shuttle that fits her, however, I have a gut feeling that she still sews beautifully. When she is all put together and cleaned up, I have promised her to one of dh's neices that lives in Farmington, New Mexico and is an excellent and prolific quilter.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:12 PM

She is beautiful.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM

Wow - what a treasure she is. I would write up the little story on her and tape it inside the drawer for posterity. Just a suggestion.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:33 PM

You are so lucky to have the very machine your grandmother used. I would love to have my grandmother's treadle, but it's gone and noone knows where. So I bought one just like it and I love to sew on it. But would still love to have the "real" one.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Sharon, got real busy around the holidays and then the new year was a sick starting year.... found myself around the board better now... missing alot of my fan club here......... looks like we lost some..
Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
Oh how nice. I wish I had my GM's treadle but she got rid of it all by herself when she got a new one. I love your story and wondered where you had gone. I haven't seen any of your messages lately.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:47 PM

wow! you know I got out my family history information out this week and I have been trying to get it all together so I can make books for my cousins... I am having so much fun... Mine settle in Pa and are still in that same little town...
Originally Posted by wvdek View Post
She's a beut!
Love the history.
My Grams and Grandpa were from Prussia also! When they were just toddlers, their folks migrated here to good old USA. They settled in Seward County Nebraska. Grams had a treadle that was a beauty too. I would give up almost anything I have to have that machine back. It too is the only machine she owned and she made oodles of quilts on it in her bedroom where the machine had a place of honor. As you can see, I also called her Grams. What a coincidence.
I am so happy for you that you have all those wonderful memories to cherish. Grams would want you to make a quilt or two I'm sure Enjoy her.