Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break? >

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

What sewing/quilting bad habit have just never been able to break?

Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM

The ability to sew over pins used to be a selling point of Singer. I remember an ad in the early 60's that bragged about the ability to safely sew over pins. I still do it sometimes. I'm afraid that I am having a lot of trouble remembering that 1/4" is not a suggestion!
Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 PM

I have two really bad habits. I smoke in my sewing room because my office and computer are in the same room. I do keep all my projects in dresser drawers when I'm not working on them...but still. My second bad habit is that I take on too much work for others and NEVER leave any time for things I'd like to make for myself. Still haven't made myself a quilt and I've been quilting now for 36 years. Sigh.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Becky Crafts View Post
If you ask my DH, I sew too slowly. I won't let it sew over the mid-speed to preserve my machine normally. Going too fast is hard on the machine parts & I don't want to wear it out prematurely. Sometimes though, even I get a little anxious. Just once with my present machine I was exhausted & ready for bed, so I jacked it up & stomped on it. Finished that long seam quickly, but DH couldn't stop talking about it for a month!! LOl!
Oh, Becky Crafts, let it rip. Life is too short. These machine are tougher than you think and they are replaceable.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Yep the usual's here too-
Pins and needles in mouth, even though the pin cushion is right next to me.
Not closing the rotary blade, nor replacing blade often enough.
Not replacing machine needles or cleaning out lint as often as I should.

Also-
I kept forgetting to set my needle position to center so when I turned on my machine it went to the left. (fixed it now though) I've got a nice little dent in my 1/4" foot where the needle kept hitting, and I've probably put my machine out of whack because my needle threader doesn't work anymore

And most embarrassing-
I've been sewing since I was at school and I'm yet to learn that if I want the machine to stop I have to take my foot off the pedal. Yelling 'stop' doesn't work (Lucky I don't drive a car like that!)
Old 02-04-2012, 06:06 PM

I am guilty of all of the above but the one that irritates me the most and I don't know what to do about it is when I nick the edge of my ruler with my rotary cutter. I do this quite often and do not for the life of me know how I do it, I try to be so careful when I put my blade down but it happens all to frequently. I would definitely appreciate any suggestions as to how to break this bad habit, I go thru so many blades very quickly by doing this.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 PM

I am a messy sewer and when I get in my "zone" I catch myself dropping my thread & fabric bits & pieces on the floor. I'm trying to be much better and more conscious of my space. =) Since I just spent months cleaning up after myself and organizing everything..I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:24 PM

I have to confess, I still put pins in my mouth. My mom and my boss at the shop used to yell at me, but now that I quilt at home.................I sew over pins, I even put my 'reverse sewer' in my mouth.....and have even poked my chest............red faced and rubbing chest...........
Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 PM

Love this, purple_butterfly.

And most embarrassing-
I've been sewing since I was at school and I'm yet to learn that if I want the machine to stop I have to take my foot off the pedal. Yelling 'stop' doesn't work (Lucky I don't drive a car like that!)
Old 02-04-2012, 07:39 PM

I make a mess when I sew. Thread catcher? What's that? It all goes on the floor - thread, trimmings, corners and selvages. I clean up later, of course, but not while I'm busy. Oh, yeah, I not only don't change cutter blades often enough, I turn them around and keep going!
Old 02-04-2012, 08:13 PM

I wait too long to change my rotary blade & ,don't close the blade.
misplace quilting thing constantly and
I don't replace the needle has often as I should