Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do You Have a MUST SEE movie? >

Do You Have a MUST SEE movie?

Do You Have a MUST SEE movie?

Old 02-06-2012, 04:16 PM
Power Poster

The Help book was great but i would love to watch The King's Speech one day soon.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:18 PM

War Horse; but bring lots of tissues.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:03 PM

I loved The Blind Side it was amazing!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:08 PM

Well my list would be pages long, just like my list of books [English/history teacher & school librarian--so I'm hopeless...], but I can't do my Christmas baking without "White Christmas" & "It's a Wonderful Life". The Harry Potter movies are really good, but not even in the same universe as the books. The Chronicles of Narnia & Lord of the Rings movies also did a fairly good job of recreating the stories visually, but the books are so rich. I really liked The Help & War Horse, but movies that fictionally document history can make us uncomfortable. One of the greatest things the Harry Potter books did was to turn a new group of young and old on to reading! Many continue to move from one series to another after finishing Harry. One of those series is "Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins. Check with middle school to college agers, the first movie comes out in March.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:37 PM

Default My faves

When I started reading this thread, the one which popped into my mind was "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy - yes, my Nerd is showing! "The African Queen" is also one of my favorites. I love books and movies, but the ones which stand out in my mind are the ones in which ordinary people have to face impossible odds - and they go for it anyway, even if it means great sacrifice - I admire that! For fun? "Singin' in the Rain" !!
Old 02-06-2012, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
I think my favourite movie is Shawshank Redemption. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan is excellent too.
Yes, Shawshank Redemption is a very good movie and I'm a fan of the Green Mile, book and movie are great!
Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
Here is a movie that I just heard about a couple years ago. It really didn't interest me because I thought it was a "Lawrence of Arabia" type movie. But unfortunately, I was wrong. The movie??

House of Sand and Fog

It had substance - Jennifer Connelly, Ben Kingsley did one great job. One mistake ended up with tragedy all around. It showed how things could change in a blink of an eye and the lifestyle WE know is not the only way. Anyway, rent it, or record it on MAX tomorrow at 4:15 central time. Prepare snacks, get your pillow and quilt ready, take the phone off the hook and get ready@!!

For those who have seen it already - what is YOUR take on it? - Oh! don't forget the Kleenex!
I've seen this!! I thought it was fantastic. You have great taste.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch View Post
There is another movie that was on tv - a remake of the Joan Crawford movie made in 1943??? "Mildred Pearce"..Of course I didn't see the original, but did enjoy this new one on tv a few days ago. The only complaint I have on it was the nudity and the re-creation of several sexual acts.......the "fade out" would have worked just as well. Other than that, it definitely had the flavor of an old movie that was quite enjoyable.------did anyone watch it?
I watched it because I genuinely like Kate Winslet. I thought it was just ok.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 PM

I love this movie house of sand and fog also The Help!!!!! Great Movies!!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Dances with Wolves:

“With Ten Bears, it was always more than a while. There was purpose in everything he did, and I knew he wanted me to stay. But I was sure of myself. I would be an excuse, and that's all the Army would need to find this place. I pushed him as far as I could to move the camp. But in the end, he only smiled and talked of simple pleasures. He reminded me that at his age, a good fire was better than anything. Ten Bears was an extraordinary man.”