Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For our songbirds >

For our songbirds

For our songbirds

Old 02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned

Thank you for the reminder! I used to do this every Spring, but somehow I've forgotten the last few years. I'm going to make sure to have them out there this year for my feathered friends.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM

I contribute bags of dog fluff to our local birds. The Corgis are molting right now, so there is tons of undercoat available to the birds. At our old house, the birds had very soft nests as a result of our neighbor's malamutes.

Cheers, K
Old 02-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Not very healthy for the baby birds. Maybe if the fabric is prewashed - our cotton fabric is loaded with unhealthy chemicals. Years ago the manufacturers used formaldyhyde as a preservative and that is a carcinogenic. don't know what awlful chemicals China is putting into the fabric nowadays.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
Not very healthy for the baby birds. Maybe if the fabric is prewashed - our cotton fabric is loaded with unhealthy chemicals. Years ago the manufacturers used formaldyhyde as a preservative and that is a carcinogenic. don't know what awlful chemicals China is putting into the fabric nowadays.
Formaldehyde is still used to coat almost all fabrics, not just by China. It is used to prevent wrinkles and keep bugs away.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 PM

I always put out thread clippings but not fabric. I do save fabric for dog beds.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:03 PM

Default For our songbirds

Originally Posted by Daffy Daphne View Post
Along the lines of saving scraps to stuff dog beds: It will soon be the birds' nesting season, and when building their nests they love to use the tiny bits we trim off when squaring blocks or straightening seam allowances. Just be sure your pieces aren't too long--about an inch and a half is good. (Longer than that, baby birds can get them tangled around their legs, and that's a disaster.) If you put the scraps in the branches of shrubbery or low trees, birds will find them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309364[/ATTACH]
Yarn works great too and is so colorful!
Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 PM

I brush Tink outside, so they get lots of extra fluff from her...plus I put the trimmed threads into one of my garden pots...they coming zooming in to get the trimmed embroidery threads.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 AM

Also, you can save the lint from your dryer and put out for them!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 AM
dd

Originally Posted by SherryCat View Post
Also, you can save the lint from your dryer and put out for them!
I always wondered about the dryer lint. I thought, surely there should be something we can do with this besides throw it away.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:33 AM

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS!!!!

There was an article in "Birds and Blooms" about the fabric and thread getting wet causing the baby birds to die of the cold and damp.

I don't know who thought of this but they are terribly wrong if they think it is a good idea. If you want to give the birds nesting material then use pet or human hair. I'm sure if you went to a local beauty salon or pet groomer they would let you have hair to put out for bird nests.

One fall after the leaves had fallen I saw a nest made up of gray hair, that was the neatest looking nest I had everseen.