Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh My Gosh..Ants!  You wouldn't guess where! >

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Luckily, we don't get many and I do use the ant traps. Sometimes they come in when houseplants are brought in for the winter.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:02 AM

I can understand how you felt I had a nest of small flying ants in my soffet and in the frame of my porch kept calling the bug man it took about 6 tries to get rid of them then carpenter wasps sta5rted to make nests in the wood of front door
Old 02-07-2012, 09:29 AM

I live on a former cattle farm and the entire property is filled with ant tunnels and hills. Powder and borax don't work here. We keep the exterminator on retainer during the summer months as does everyone else on our street.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM
j

I don't care how clean you keep your house, they come in. Make sure you spray the foundation outside also. I put scouring powder around the wheels of the motorhome and that keeps them from going in there. So far luck is on my side. You can use the Borax or scouring powder around edge of foundation. - J
Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 AM

What kandee said. Terro is a very good product to use. It will take care of any type of ant.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 AM

Walmart's Great Value Orange Scent Dishwashing Liquid works really well also. I kept getting ants in the kitchen thru the years, used spray, powder, the ant "food", etc. They kept coming back. When I found them in my dishwasher last time, I did not want to use poisions, so I took the dish liquid and put a few drops where the ants were mingling. They went away! So I took a sponge, put a little on the sponge, added a little water to suds it up and wiped the suds on the counter. They stay away from the kitchen. Am thinking of using it around the foundation. It has a funky smell (does not smell like oranges when wet), doesn't suds much so didn't like it for dishes, but love it for ants! Am going to wash my patio door screen with it and see if it keeps the flys from hanging around. Every time you open the door they come in. Will let you know if it works when fly season gets here. It is a great cleaner for grease also.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Mix 1/4 C of honey with 1/2 tsp of borax and drop small amounts in their path. We had severe ant problems and, although it took two treatments, they were gone in short order.

Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Looks like the little guys are coming inside to avoid all that rain! Dusting talcum powder around the bed/base should deter any more of them moving in. Borax is good too, sprinkled around the skirtings but just a little (it is toxic to pets and children).
Old 02-07-2012, 10:27 AM

I finally tried ground cinnamon last year and I couldn't believe how fast they scrambled...it didn't kill them but they never came back...maybe you could spread on your mattress..nice smell too!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 AM

That must have been terrible to see that many ants in one place, especially in your bed. Many years ago I had ants in my kitchen just in one spot, but they went away and have not had any problems since. I don't like "creepy crawlers" of any kind. From time to time, especially in the summer, a cockroach will get in when you open the door. I do everything humanly possible to swat him, sometimes I miss. I do have the pest control that comes every two months so what I don't get they will. I also have what they call "IndianMoths", the pest control man told me that they don't eat clothes like other moths do, but they are a nuisance because they fly around, but are very small. The pest man puts these things around that hang up and they fly in there and get stuck. The only thing I can kill is a roach, a spider and the moths
Old 02-07-2012, 10:56 AM

I was told that ants breathe through their feet. If you put something like Comet cleanser with bleach on the ground where the ants go, it will kill them. We use it here in the states and it is great. Don't know if you have anything like that in Australia but you can google Comet cleanser and see what it is similiar to over there. It kills fire ants in Texas and I won't travel there anymore without it. DH almost got ate up alive when he went to hook up the hose to the water hydrant, learned about fire ants in a hurry then. Good Luck.