Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh My Gosh..Ants!  You wouldn't guess where! >

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:40 AM

I searched online for an ant deterrent where we lived before. We had a swimming pool and outside hot tub. I guess that was what drew them. Anyway, I read that sprinkling cornmeal is the best thing to do for ants. They eat it and swell which kills them. From what I read, it had better results than anything else as far as permanently keeping them away. I cannot even imagine finding that many ants in my BED!!! UGH!!!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 PM

We had that problem two summers ago. We had had company who had seen a couple of very large ants in our guest bedroom. After they left (thankfully) we tore the bed apart and there were hundreds of them under the bed. We sprayed and sprayed and then as I was walking out of the room I noticed some more coming from under the door jamb. DH pulled the moulding off and there thousands of them under the wood. After a ton more spraying, and spraying all around the outside of the house, we finally got rid of them, thank heavens. It is no fun to battling those little devils.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM

Oh my gosh!!! You guys are freaking me out!!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by miss_ticky2 View Post
Ahh..yes...now, that WOULD be a nightmare for me too...I HATE spiders! I panic like mad...lol. At least I could handle the ants...if it had been spiders...I'd leave home I think...lol
Same here - I actually had a spider crawl into my ear in the middle of the night once. I was totally freaked out and my hubby didn't believe me. Just to calm me down he looked into my ear using a flashlight and there it was! He put rubbing alcohol on a q-tip and put that in my ear which made the spider crawl out and then we smashed him. I was so freaked I went to the dr. the next day so he could confirm that the spider didn't lay eggs in my ear while it was in there - I had visions of hundreds of baby spiders hatching... The dr. said he removes about 3 or 4 insects of different kinds from people's ears each year, mostly spiders and moths! To this day, no matter how warm it is, I pull the covers totally over both ears before I can go to sleep.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:04 PM

I have used Torro for many years in my house in wisconsin and now in Az.They take it to their nest and they all die.

Just be carefull because your pets can lick it and get very sick.Just use a little on a piece of card board and stick it where you see ants they will swarm to it.Once I saw solid black on the card board,there were so many.Good Luck
Old 02-07-2012, 04:10 PM

Find their point of entry and place Borax there. They won't cross.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:40 PM

Spiders, I hate spiders, I was vising my DD and saw a spider behind the stool in the bathroom, now this thing was Black and it was Big, I mean really Big. I got a stick and tried to kill it, when I did it with the end of the stick, it moved, I did not even scare it, so I hit it again, and again it moved just a little, so I hit it the third time, this time I hit it harder then I did before. It moved just a little bit. Why can't I kill this thing I thought, and I looked closer at the beast, only to find out it was a plastic spider, darn grandkids I thought they got me on this one. I hate to admit it, but this story is true.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 PM

My Aunt and Uncle are very old and Uncle is fighting with Altzheimer's. They have had a problem with stray ants for most of the winter...
The cleaning lady and I found out why yesterday....Uncle has a stash of cookies and candy under his pillows...I lifted the pillows and YUCK...way too many were swarming on the cookies.
I had a hard time getting the sheets off the bed without wearing any...but took it outside and let them freeze for a bit.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM

A few years ago I bought one of those boxes that you plug into an electric outlet. I think it is called Ridex. Anyway, it is a rodent and pest repeller. I can seriously tell you that since I bought it, I have not had any big black spiders. I may find a few spindly daddy long leg type, but not the ugly, hairy black ones. I also have not had centipedes either. And no mice. It was definitely worth the $13. I got it at a kitchen store in the mall.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Ants HATE cucumber, so slice one up and lay it around their trails or even just use the peelings. Nothing to worry about with children, the elderly or your pets.