Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oh My Gosh..Ants!  You wouldn't guess where! >

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Oh My Gosh..Ants! You wouldn't guess where!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM

I was visiting a lady once and she was telling us about the ants getting into her freezer. She could tell we weren't believing so she finally showed us & the inside of her freeze was totally black. I thought the temperature would have them stopped but no they were still moving. Never seen anything like it.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM

omg that sounds horrible !! hope you get all of them
Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM

I have a semi-permanent case of the willies now. I would not be able to sleep in that bed again and would have to go out and buy another one immediately and even then, it would be weeks before I would be comfortable even sleeping in that room. Yikes. You are a much braver woman than I - I would have freaked out in a major way if that happened to me!!
Old 02-07-2012, 10:20 PM

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions and I will certainly refer back here if I need to (hopefully I won't need to ).

So far so good. We had an ant free night last night...lol. I still don't know where they got in but they have all been cleaned out of the wardrobe and of course, from under our mattress. I still have to check everything in the spare rooms but so far haven't seen any suggestions of any activity in those rooms..but I will check. Hubby has sprayed all around the house again now and we did buy some baits and will put those where and when we see ant trails. Hopefully it's the end of our problems with them. I check several times during the day to make sure they're not coming back again...lol.

Sheila...unfortunately we are stuck with the mattress...lol. It's just a new one and it's latex and cost us too much to just get rid of it...lol.

Wow..ants in the freezer! I would have thought the cold would have got them too.

And Judy...I'm glad to see I'm not the only one to have them in the bed..not that I wish anyone had them in their bed...lol. It's not fun, that's for sure.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 PM

Curtain rods ... happened when our first baby was born. It was the dead of winter in Minnesota (brutally cold), and I noticed that when I put the space heater on in her room, I started seeing a few black ants! I was horrified. Finally, after looking and looking, I traced them back to the curtain rod, where they had nested! They liked it when the room got warmer, and came out of their hiding place! We got rid of them without a problem. Here in California, we tried Terro for a long time and couldn't get rid of them entirely. Finally, we hired a service and never see any in the house. We've been ant free for about 3 years.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 AM
Swap Hosts

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry to hear of your nightmare! Every summer we get tons of ants. It's horrible. And this year they decided that my raspberry plants were especially planted for them! My best line of defense without using poison is diatomaceous earth. You can even mix some in with your stored food safely. I put a line of it around the house and sprinkle it on the fruits that are growing and that seems to do the trick. The only thing is that if it rains, you have to do it again. Pouring vinegar down ant hills works well too.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:02 AM

I also live in Florida where we have trouble with fire ants. I am very allergic. Now I will have nightmares.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by kandee View Post
There is a product called Terro that works very well. I live in Florida and we have ants all the time. You just put a little drop where the ants are. They eat it and take it back to their nests and I guess they also share it. Anyway it kills the whole nest.
We use this every year, before the ant season starts. It does work wonders. Also sprinkle baby powder around your house and they will not cross that line.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:53 AM

yes, Terro is a wonder killer....overnite "they"
are all gone!!!!! I get invaded each year with "ladybugs" but not the good ones, the little buggers that bite......somehow they get into the basement and over the winter I will find one or two dead on the floor down there......they must try to hibernate......but they have not invaded the living areas yet.. they move in I MOVE OUT
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 AM

Here's my ant story...we were living in the high desert, very different from what I was used to( the mountains). We would occasionally see little reddish ants that STUNG if they got you. We went away for a weekend, and when we came home, they had invaded the kitchen and dining room, and started to build a nest in the vertical blinds! I got out the spray and started on them - and they started coming after me! I swear this is true...luckily they were only 1/4" long! I finally conquered them, but had the willlies for months whenever I saw even ONE ant!