Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome Dealer Going Out of Business >

Janome Dealer Going Out of Business

Janome Dealer Going Out of Business

Old 02-10-2012, 03:50 PM

Make sure that you get these promises in writing...just so that one dealer understands what the other is promising.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 PM

I have a Baby Lock, but it's much older (2000). Bought it in '02. I just love it - bought it reconditioned as the lady had bought it and about 6 months later traded it in for a professional machine (whatever that is). Anyway, Baby Lock is a good brand and I have service on it mostly because it's used and I want to keep it running - kinda like changing the oil on the car regularly. I've only once had a problem with it and my service man (who comes to me) had to take it home so he could be on his work table where he can be static free and not mess up the computer portions.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird View Post
My biggest question would be if he is going out of business and the other business that is supposed to doesn't start up how far do I have to go to get this machine serviced and or classes? I purchased a Janome 7700 from a local dealer that had been in business for 12 years and two weeks after I purchased they went out of business. Retired and left the state. Thankfully, I never had any problems with it. The new dealer was another 45 miles past where they used to have their business. When we left NC I had a Viking. There was no dealer close for it either. Now that we have moved to TN it is even farther for it. Can't afford a Bernina which is the only dealer left in the area. Ann in TN
Maybe you could buy a used trade-in from your Bernina dealer?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM

I got the Horizon for $2,000, no table or toys, however, I did get all the attachents and sewing lessons for proper usage. There are some tricks the dealers can give you for better results. The Horizon is a very good machine. I like the power feed foot)feet) and that was worth the price of admission. It is made to quilt not embroidery or other functions. It sews so well. The thread cutter is wonderful and saves sooooo much thread. The needle threader gave me some initial grief, but the Dealer aligned it slightly and now I wondered how I ever got along without it. I am really very happy with it. It does good work and I did keep my old Janome and it does different stitches and I am used to it. I do jeans mending and heavy sewing on the old machine. I don't feel as guilty about breaking needles on it. Janome gives good warranties on its machines too. I haven't done the lettering option yet and am anxious to do so. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM

I have the Sapphire 875 (Viking). I had an older Viking that I just loved so thought it was time to buy a new one and I wanted the larger throat space for quilting. So, that is why I bought the Sapphire 875. Big mistake.!!! Not good for FMQ as far as I am concerned. I think I may have gotten a lemon but the dealer, who does not do FMQ, and does not understand my problems, will not do anything about the machine. I will never buy another Viking. I might as well not have a warranty (which has run out now) but even before it expired, it did not do me any good. Buy the Babylock. I have a Babylock embroidery machine and I love it!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:53 PM

The dealer here wants $2995 for a brand new Horizon 7700. Has anyone else found them new for around $2000? I really want one but I think there are better deals out there. Sounds like lessons aren't really necessary, but service might be.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:55 PM

I purchased the 6600 several months ago, it is every bit as awesome as I thought it was going to be!!!! I wouldn't by a machine at a store other than authorized dealer, LQS, not a warehouse or chain store. Like alot of other products the stores will specify certain qualities or "cuts" for machines sold through their stores and frequently that translates to less than desirable products so they can sell at bigger discounts.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:09 AM

I have a Babylock, but not the Symphony. I have the Babylock Quilters Choice Plus, which has been discontinued now. But honestly I love my machine. I am so happy with it. I did get a great deal on mine as it was the floor model, but it came with everything on it, even the large extension table. It is much heavier than my Kenmore was, in fact ALOT heavier. It runs so quietly and smoothly. Does not bulk at the thick amounts of fabric I push thru it. I did take a look at the Symphony online, and it looks very nice. Not sure if its $2100 nice though. The one that looks most like mine is the Serenade, that one has PDQ little foot thingy, lol. Its like a built in walking foot..so to speak. Anyway I do not think you could go wrong with a Babylock. But each of us have our fav's .... so what is mine might not be anothers. Good luck on your search.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 AM

Someone on another thread remarked that buying a new sewing machine is as bad or worse than buying a car and I agree! Thanks for your comments on the Baby Locks, Amythyst. I don't care for the $2100 either, especially since that machine has two inches less throat space than the Horizon I can get for less. Well, I'm still researching now and I'm gonna check some shops down in Georgia where sales tax isn't so high. TN tax would add a good bit to the already high prices, and till now I hadn't even factored that in!
Old 02-11-2012, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by eastermarie View Post
Does JoAnns have a certified Viking repairman or do they use a door to door service repairman that pickups machines from several locations for service work. If it is the door to door service guy, that will negate your Viking warranty because he is not trained and certified by Viking. JoAnns sells the machines but does not service them themselves, they are outsourced. Be very careful. For dealers to maintain their certified status with the companies, they have to have updated retraining for repair and servicing their machine models.
I just read the article posted by someone else regarding the lower end Vikings being sold at JoAnn et al. They are not of the same quality (not made by the Husqvarna factory you may think of) as the higher end ones and it may be a wiser choice to look into another brand or used better grade machine. Just a thought... If you Google "Too much information" referring to a blog in which a husband did all the intricate research on what machine is best and which is made where and by whom... it is worth the read.