Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those with kids...when do you sew? >

For those with kids...when do you sew?

For those with kids...when do you sew?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:27 PM
Jim

We babysit 4 grandsons 5 days a week...starts at 6:30 A.M. nothing sewing wise gets done during those hours...diapers potty training, snacks, diapers, running, diapers, picking up, diapers and to and from school for the oldest...dr appts etc...too much life going on during those hours and when they leave we are exhausted...after a few hours to rejuvenate we can usually get to some sewing at about 9, if we are lucky because we still have to have fixed dinner, clean up and get rested for the next day of more of the same....we can usually work out a sunday for some good sewing time...even hard to get kids picked up a few minutes early to get to quilt club every other week...but glad we are able to help out our kids by babysitting and the time we get to share with our 4 grandsons
Old 02-11-2012, 09:37 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

My kiddo has a 7pm bedtime.. as soon as shes down Im off in my quilting room... 7pm-12pm is my quilting time 7 days a week if i want or need it..
Old 02-12-2012, 04:09 AM
Power Poster

Now I know why my mom fixed me up with an old hand crank sewing machine. Unfortunately I vaccinated myself... - might leave out the needle or put on a needle guard and no thread - give them some paper mazes or dot to dot to 'sew'???

My kids are grown now and have their own babies. I think it is a matter of training them not to get into things when Mommy is sewing/reading/baking cookies/using the computer, etc... I think early on they saw that I was doing things for them and were quite fascinated by what came out. I did best when they were sleeping or were busy nearby. I have to admit I ripped out a lot more when I was distracted by them. Looking back, I think they don't need to be entertained so much as they need to be fascinated by doing things. Ways too much entertaining going on...
Old 02-12-2012, 05:19 AM

I sewed a lot when my kids were little, I made them clothing.
We had our basement as a playroom. I sewed in there as they played. It worked out well.
Make a batch of homemade playdough and the children can craft while you sew.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 AM

Have you tried to get the kids to help you? They could line up pieces for you to sew. The attention span on a 3 year old is limited but with time you might have another quilter in the family.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 AM

I am lucky. I just started sewing/quilting. I have a 13 year old boy, 9 year old girl, and a 16 month old boy. The two older ones watch the baby for me if I promise to teach them as I learn. Which was a pleasant surprise coming from the older boy but yay! So we all clean together, then take turns on the sewing machine. Then, every now and then, the hubby will take everyone to the park or his mom's and I get time all to myself. You just gotta take it as it comes, whether it's a few minutes or days at a time, lol
Old 02-12-2012, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
We have a 3 year old little girl so my time is limited. Hubby works all day and doesn't want to come straight home to "babysit"
Thanks!
As a Grammy, I think your husband needs a "heads up" coming home from work and taking care of his child is not "baby sitting," it is called being a "father." You have been "working all day - and will continue all evening - and taking care of your child being a "mother." I guess he thinks his job is harder than yours and he deserves a break while you keep on working till bedtime? Maybe it would be "fun" to gift him with your job for a week? It sure changed my SIL's tune when he had to do it while mommy was in the hospital and Grammy wasn't there. He was begging to go back to "work!"
Old 02-12-2012, 07:08 AM

One thing that might help is if you have a room dedicated to sewing. You can make your mess and drop everything at once if needed and then just go back and pick up from where you left off. If you can only sew at the kitchen table, (BTDT!) then your sewing seems in vain. I am lucky to have two such rooms! One on the main floor and one in the basement. The basement is where I make my mess and I can just walk away when I have to then come back and....tada!....it's nice not to have to clean up in the middle of a project because you need the space for dinner or kids doing homework, etc. And the sewing room on the main floor stays (somewhat...LOL) presentable....not my usual chaotic mess. Good luck to you, hope you can find a solution and sew the day away!
Old 02-12-2012, 07:11 AM

My husband and I take turns giving each other a little bit of alone time away from kids and chores. I will take the kids out to the park or on an excursion so he can have a few hours of quiet when he gets home from work, then he will give me a few hours of uninterrupted sewing time downstairs. Unfortunately, I really don't do well when interrupted while sewing so my kids are not allowed to play in my sewing room. It really is my private space. I stopped watching TV in the evening and that has freed up a lot of sewing time but I don't always have the mental energy to sew in the evenings. My favorite time is on the weekend early to mid-day so I arrange that with a little give and take with hubby.

Some good suggestions here.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
What if Grandma wants to be sewing? sometimes I begrudgingly take my step grandkids even thought I have plans, yes we have fun but sometimes it disrupts what I wanted to. Grandparents should not be babysitters, We take them when we have time to enjoy them the most!! After all we all ready raised our kids! Off my soapbox now. OOPs
Ditto that, Up North! Love my daughter, love my granddaughter, but I sew to bust the stress from my job - my sewing room is my safety haven and if I have to babysit, then I can't go into my sewing room. AND, babysitting right now is VERY stressful because little one is only 6 months old. She crys - LOTS AND LOTS!!

Grandmothers are NOT the drop-off depot for grandchildren!