Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
LQS is a little too helpful >

LQS is a little too helpful

LQS is a little too helpful

Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 AM

I had a hovering once at a small store and the first thing I thought of was shoplifting prevention. I even laughed and asked her if they had a lot of loss to shoplifting. So as she shadowed me through the store we talked about what all was stolen. It was quite interesting. I think she realized I wasn't planning on stealing anything but it looked like she was bored also.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:02 AM

I really appreciate what store owners have to go through to limit theft. Sad...And the idea of organizing the smaller, steal-able stuff behind the counter or right up front is a great idea. When I shop I will put my selected items up at the cutting table rather than carry then around, hope that helps them see I have no intention of stealing.
One of our LQS's is a nice sized shop. well organized by color, small items in eyshot of the cutting/register. I have seen the owner help many people and always was helpful, but not overly intrusive. Me? I did ask for help once, told her I wanted greens and purples, but no muddy greens. All she pulled out was muddy greens....I said again, same response. After about a few minutes she walked away exasperated.... She also sells machines and is always pushing them too. There is one clerk there who is very good, very helpful so I always try to get her if I need help.
Old 02-12-2012, 06:14 AM

Maybe she's lonely. You might try making a friend of her and then gently using the suggestion given in this thread.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:57 AM

We have a LQS in Cleveland that I have refused to shop for at least 4 years. They also sell sewing machines and must work on commission. High pressure is not the word! Look at fabric and there will be a salesperson behind you asking what kind of machine you have. They are never discouraged and have an answer for everything. Yeow!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 AM

The LQS in our town is just heaven, but whenever we road trip bigger town, there's usually a pack or pod of us, so that helps dilute the "help" situation. They don't know which way to turn!
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM
RDM

I had the opposite when a new quilter needing help and LQS had snooty unavailable staff as I prepared for one of their classes. Maybe a strong "I prefer to browse alone and request you respect that. However, if help is needed I'll be sure to ask for it." This person may believe she is doing what's expected of her. I understand your complaint as I hate hovering staff and leave immediately when that happens. I hope this owner/staff comes to understand your request, maybe if she knew she was loosing your business she would get it. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:37 AM

I have 2 LQS in my small town and one I frequent regulary and the other not so much. There is one lady at this particular LQS that talks my ear off, I have social anxiety so it is hard for me to deal with her. I know what kind of car she drives so when I drove by I look to see if she is there and if she is I keep on going. One time I was in there shopping and talking with the owner, she walked in and her mouth was a running. I quickly finished up with the owner and left.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM

Some advice I heard from Carol Doak several years ago is do not shop with a friend and more often than not you will end up with the first fabric that really caught your eye. I shop alone when I am seriously looking for a particular project. I dont need someone to confuse me and cause me to doubt myself.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
While reading the original post and the responses, I thought of something---Maybe these gals are lonely because fabric shoppers aren't frequenting their stores like in the past. Who knows?
In any event, I think a polite comment might remedy the situation.
Or, maybe they are just so excited to see what you are going to make that they cant' wait until you get to the cutting table!
Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 PM

Maybe just tell her you appreciate her help BUT this is something you would like to this yourself. If she still doesn't get it walk out. It maybe hard but give it a try. than go back in a day or two and see what happens. Maybe you'll luck out and she'll have got it, or she will be off that day