Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is Machine Appliqué hard? >

Is Machine Appliqué hard?

Is Machine Appliqué hard?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:07 PM

Default Is Machine Appliqué hard?

I want to make a quilt for a friend and I found a very nice stained glass pattern of her breed of dog (Sheltie head). I want to machine appliqué it into a central panel and surround it by pastel pinks,greens with some black blocks (pattern yet to be decided).
I've only ever made one full quilt and a quilt top plus some blocks for a swap. I am more than a little intimidated by how complex it looks even before I cut out the pieces. I still have to choose my fabric colours as I don't want it to be flat but don't want it too patterned either or it might take away from the overall "eye view" of the dog I wish to put on the quilt..

So help and ideas for a newbie machine appliqué-ist...lol...

Cheers
Julie
Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Power Poster

machine applique is not 'hard' it is just a new technique- start with a good fusable such as steam a seam lite or heat & bond lite or wonderunder---- the lite part is VERY IMPORTANT! you want to make sure you choose a fusable that is made for sewing- some are not meant to be sewn down- and are very stiff- gum up needles and are next to impossible to stitch through-
there is also fusable bias tape made especially for stained glass applique- it comes in two widths- 1/8" & 1/4"

you trace your applique patterns onto the paper side of the fusable- rough cut the shapes- fuse to the wrong side of the fabrics- cut out on the lines- remove the paper & fuse into place on the background fabric- then use the fusable bias tape to apply the (leading) over the edges of your applique shapes- then stitch everything down- there are a few different ways to stitch down the bias tape- some people use a zigzag stitch the width of the tape- some straight stithc the edges- some people use their double needle and stitch both sides at once-
most of the patterns come with pretty good instructions- there are plenty of tutorials- and there are always (material recommendation lists with the patterns)
you may want to do some little thing- applique a daisy or something simple on a practice piece to get a feel for what you are doing- you will find it is quite forgiving- and enjoyable
Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
machine applique is not 'hard' it is just a new technique- start with a good fusable such as steam a seam lite or heat & bond lite or wonderunder---- the lite part is VERY IMPORTANT! you want to make sure you choose a fusable that is made for sewing- some are not meant to be sewn down- and are very stiff- gum up needles and are next to impossible to stitch through-
there is also fusable bias tape made especially for stained glass applique- it comes in two widths- 1/8" & 1/4"

you trace your applique patterns onto the paper side of the fusable- rough cut the shapes- fuse to the wrong side of the fabrics- cut out on the lines- remove the paper & fuse into place on the background fabric- then use the fusable bias tape to apply the (leading) over the edges of your applique shapes- then stitch everything down- there are a few different ways to stitch down the bias tape- some people use a zigzag stitch the width of the tape- some straight stithc the edges- some people use their double needle and stitch both sides at once-
most of the patterns come with pretty good instructions- there are plenty of tutorials- and there are always (material recommendation lists with the patterns)
you may want to do some little thing- applique a daisy or something simple on a practice piece to get a feel for what you are doing- you will find it is quite forgiving- and enjoyable

You are great at explaining things. Always enjoy reading your posts.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 PM

Machine applique isn't hard, but it does take practice. I also would recommend you do some smaller project first to learn on before you tackle the larger dog quilt. Good luck!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 PM

I was so scared to try machine applique, but I love it now. Start with a big flower on a pillow or something like that. Experiment with your sewing machine on what stitch you want to use. I really like the blanket stitch, but I don't make the stitches very wide. Tonight, I just finished cutting out the designs of one of the two kits I bought yesterday at the quilt show. I can't wait to get the pieces ironed down so I can start stitching. Have fun!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM

Every comment here has already given you such great tips! Applique is fun, addictive and endless opportunities to explore. Have fun creating and looking forward to seeing photos.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Thank you everyone!! I have not done any machine applique but now feel I will give it a try!!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 07:22 AM

I agree with others ---- try it out with something small and play with it to get comfortable/confident. I've learned that it isn't difficult, just have to take it slow (or I do anyway!).

Go for it!! You can do it!!!