Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to identify used sewing machine needles??????? >

How to identify used sewing machine needles???????

How to identify used sewing machine needles???????

Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM

This is on my To Do List.
http://daleannepotter.com/wp-content...Organizer1.jpg
Old 02-13-2012, 10:11 AM

The tomato pincushion works for me. The paper in a plastic bags sound like a good idea as well - I would be afraid that putting them in a plastic bottle would dull the tips of the needles

Will be follwing this thread as well
Old 02-13-2012, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by BLAP View Post
I put my needles thru a piece of paper and mark the type, size and how long used on the paper. I put them in a plastic box with a snap on lid. I don'thave to change needles as frequently as with each project if it has been small. if you use post-it notes you can stick the note on your machine to put the needle back thru the paper when you need to change needles. I hope you can understand this explaination.
This is what I do with the post-it notes. Write the needle info, stick the needle through the paper, stick it to the side of my sewing table if I think I'll use it again soon, or toss in a little drawer (the post-it only stays sticky for so long...)
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
If you keep track of what you put in the machine in the first place you won't have to try and figure out what it is when you take it out.

I have a craft box from JoAnn's that's just the right size for needle packages. The orange button is for the Janome and the dark red button is for the Pfaff. I put the button in the compartment of the needle I take out and put in the machine. Any loose needle in a compartment has been used but is still good.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]311338[/ATTACH]
very good idea. Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253 View Post
I've run into this problem before also. Am liking this idea but would like to follow this thread for more ideas. How do you do that?
This is my method. I just used a fine point permanent sharpie to mark the sections of my tomato pin cushion. I have one section marked "denim","universal", "quilting", "ball point", "sharps", etc. I've even divided sections to note different sizes of needles within a section.
Old 02-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
If you think about it, needles are probably the least expensive thing that you use.

My thought exactly. If I couldn't afford to toss a needle I probably shouldn't be quilting for the fun of it.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:10 PM

I keep them in the package they came in when they are dull or bent I through them out. I every now and then I sew over a pin and bend of break the needle
Old 02-13-2012, 04:16 PM

I bought a little plastic box with divided sections that are marked with the different needle sizes and types. It was on the notion s wall at Joann ETC.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:51 PM

use a different color sharpie for each type. For instance...blue is for sharps, red for ballpoint...then add a color for size...yellow is 11, green is for 12, etc.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:58 PM

i have small paper envelopes about a 3 by 3 size i write the size ond info on the envelope and put the needles inside, then i have a small plastic drawer thing on my sewing table next to my machine and they are right next to me when i need a needle