Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How to identify used sewing machine needles??????? >

How to identify used sewing machine needles???????

How to identify used sewing machine needles???????

Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Up North View Post
Mark a tomato pin cushion with a marker of the different sizes and keep it in the correct section.
Ditto just what I do. Works great.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:42 PM

JoAnn's has a "tomato" pincushion that is already segmented for keeping your needles organized.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 PM

I have tried to use a magnifying glass and still have a hard time seeing the needle size. I guess my eyes are too old. LOL I have a tomato cushion also and have the different sizes marked on it with a sharpie. WHen I put a needle in my machine, I put a pin in the cushion, that way I always know what size needle is in my machine.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:46 PM

I purchased the "Needle Grabbit Machine Needle Organizer from Harriet's Treadle Arts (Harriet Hargrave) for $11.95 and it works great to solve exactly this problem.

Hope this helps: YELLOW is for stretch, BLUE is for jeans, PURPLE is for Microtex, GREEN is for quilting, RED is for embroidery (Schmetz needle guide colors).
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Since I do free motion quilting and have been known to break needles while doing this, I use all of those random from the pin cushion needles when I know I am going to be breaking a few, then I don;t have to worry about it too much.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:11 PM

Well I hate to admit this too ... but i can't tell the difference in the needles when they are new in the case i just can't see it all i can tell is the size they all look alike to me I guess i need a magnifying glass... if the stitches look OK I use it...
Speaking of which .. the bottom of my sewing box has a lot of hand quilting needles and not only do i have bad eyes i have bad hands i will never use these they came from estate sales with items i did want. so if anyone uses them PM me and you can have them. What is the difference in quilting needles and just small sewing needles ??

Last edited by annies-best; 02-13-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by SewinSue View Post
If I have used a sewing machine needle for only a short amount of time I stick them into a pin cushion to be used again. I can look at the needle and read the size and brand and in some cases the color of the shaft will identify what kind of needle it is however most needles can't be identifed that way so how can I tell the difference between a universal, ballpoint, metalic, quilting etc.??? In a cleaning frenzy and need to sort and categorize so your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sue
Each needle has the size stamped in the shaft, you need a magnifying glass to see it, good light, it is on th top of the needla, but it does not identify the type (metallic, ball pointy, top stitch) just the size (75/11, 80/12 etc.)
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM

Angry My decision as to what to do with those used needles

WOW!! I never thought I would have as many comments to my original question so decided to let everyone know what I ended up doing. I got out my magnifying glass and after seeing what size each needle was I stuck them one at a time into a sticky note after noting the size, brand and type needle ( if it had a colored band that I could be
100% certain what kind of needle it was). I only had 24 needles to identify! So tomorrow I will make a needle book. I had previously quilted two beautiful fat quarters together about the size of a placemat so will cut it to size, cut felt 'pages' adding more than I think I will need and sew them into a book. Oh yes, I plan on embroidering each page with the size needle and type ie. embroidery, ballpoint, etc.

When going through all these needles I decided to assume none of the needles were ballpointor for embroider as I just couldn't tell with absolute certainty if any were ballpoint or embroidery needles and if fabric would be ruined from an improper needle it would be a knit or a delicate embroidery. So from this day forward I will not be so lazy and as I use a needle I will place it in my new needle book.

Thanks to everyone for their input and suggestions. Since I have told everyone of my laziness and pledge to do better I will be religious about doing this. If there weren't that many needles I would have just thrown them away however I could just feel my Mom rolling over in her grave at my waistfullness! LOL
Old 02-15-2012, 08:53 AM

I get sticky notes & put it thru the paper & write the size & when I took it out & hang it above my machine I do this when I take it out of the case,
Old 02-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Singer has a pink needle cushion which I picked up at Walmart. It is divided into sections like: Denim. Ball Point -Knit, Ball Point Heavy weight, etc. You can sort by hours used. And you can change you sections to accommodate your type of sewing. Now if Singer can do it, why can't we? Same principal as Up North and Sunnye posted.

Last edited by alwayslearning; 02-15-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: correct punctuation.