Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help....Need new Sewing Machine... >

Help....Need new Sewing Machine...

Help....Need new Sewing Machine...

Old 02-14-2012, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Oh how exciting, good luck with whar ever you decide.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 AM

I have 2 brothers. I had a basic that I bought 10 years ago at wal-mart for 150 works great and I quilted and sewed everything on it. Last month for my birthday my husband bought me the brother 6000i, i've progressed and wanted more stitching options and it had been 10 yrs! I was 200 and I love it!! came with bonuses too a walking foot, darning foot, quilting bar thing, and case. Awesome deal..im a full time student right now so i wanted the most for my money under 200. At first I picked a brother so I wouldn't have to buy more feet, they came with them was a bonus because the walking foot for my old machine is not compatible..its now my daughters machine.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:19 AM

Thank you all...I haven't decided which one I want..but I have narrowed it down to 3 (thanks to you all) Brother CS600i, Singer Confidence Quilter 7469q, or a Janome Jem Gold 660...These 3 got good reviews. I just felt so overwhelmed when I started looking at machines yesterday. I never knew there were so many different kinds. Thanks again, you don't know how much I appreciate all of your suggestions.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:27 AM

go to a dealer and test drive everything! sometimes a dealer will have a good used machine for lots less than new and will also enable you to get more for your money.....check with repair shops too....I bought a used Janome from a dealer for hundreds less than new and am very happy
Old 02-14-2012, 09:41 AM

I agree, decide what features you want. You probably don't need a lot of fancy stitches, just maybe a few basic ones: adjustable zig-zag and blanket stitch. You might want to be able to move the needle position [I do this a lot!]

Also consider any extra feet you might want: 1/4" flange guide, 1/4" foot, open toe applique foot, walking foot [if needed for the type machine you want - don't need with a Pfaff], and an edge guide foot. How much do the extra feet cost???

Are you open to a good used machine? Many LQS's have them. I have also seen used machines in estate and yard sales ... just ask to try them out to make sure they really work and have all their pieces like a foot pedal and and a power cord.

Does the store offer support in the way of lessons? If they want you to pay for these ... walk away quickly!

Try the different brands and see what you bond with.

For example I could have had my mother's machine years ago but the way it was I knew I wouldn't use it as much because my kids would distract me and I would set the stitch - seen only in a little tiny window at the front of the machine, seen only if I scrunched down and looked right at it - on the wrong stitch and would get upset. Definitely not a machine I could bond with.

ali
Old 02-14-2012, 12:10 PM

About 10 years ago was in your same place. My daughter and I bought mechanical Kenmores for under $200. Of course I loved quilting and now have 2 Pfaffs, a Viking and... the Kenmore... The Kenmore still sews strong and is a great machine for teaching the younger ones how to sew. They can concentrate on their sewing and don't have to fiddle around with the machine. So don't forget Kenmores.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
I am beginner quilter and I purchased a Janome DC3050 it is a great machine for me as a beginner and easy to use.
I started out with this machine, and agree that it is a great machine for beginning. I kept it for two years then upgraded to the Memory Craft 4900....love that machine as well!