Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I out of line here? >

Am I out of line here?

Am I out of line here?

Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 AM

I don't think you were out of line but I found that many times when I order something if I ask they will send it by USPS which is usually cheaper than Fed-Ex or one of the other shippers, especially with the flat rate fee. They've never told me no. It's ridiculous when shipping is as much as or more than what you purchased.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:26 PM

Somehow this discussion has gotten to be about Amazon. Was this the site fabric was ordered from? I also would have cancelled my order and complained IN WRITING to both Paypal and the company itself. Is this a reputable fabric company? That maybe a problem with ordering on the internet is that there is no one to complain to!!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 01:55 PM

I think this shipping thing has gotten WAY out of hand. Yes, I know costs have gone up but it seems to me that companies should be willing to take the fact that they are getting business and absorb some of the costs. After all, I'm sure you will tell your friends about it (mentioning the name) & they will now avoid that shop, they will tell their friends, etc. So what has this shop gained? Nothing! What has it lost? Quite a bit of business that they are not even aware of. Was it worth the few dollars of shipping? Nope!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM

All these advertisment on TV do this.
The shipping is way out of line.
That is why they give the second item.
There was a law suit in my area and they
charged the man $162. in shipping.
They finally agreed to refund some of it and ONLY gave him $10.
This was for 3 cans of that stuff that is suppose to seal vents.
J J
Old 02-14-2012, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by CatQltr View Post
I think this shipping thing has gotten WAY out of hand. Yes, I know costs have gone up but it seems to me that companies should be willing to take the fact that they are getting business and absorb some of the costs. After all, I'm sure you will tell your friends about it (mentioning the name) & they will now avoid that shop, they will tell their friends, etc. So what has this shop gained? Nothing! What has it lost? Quite a bit of business that they are not even aware of. Was it worth the few dollars of shipping? Nope!
Yes Cat as a small business owner I have always said and believe without a doubt that word of mouth can be your best friend or worse enemy in business.
What is worth more eating the extra shipping or losing lots of business
Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 PM

When a small business offers an item online the shipping costs should be clearly stated. The company I am associated with has not updated the website to cover actual cost of shipping since the recent price increases, but we still send it out and eat the difference until we can get the site updated. It is not our customer's fault that we haven't fixed the problem. Besides we value their business much more than the # of dollars it is costing us till we can update.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:04 PM

I am convinced that the shipping charges are how they make money. The things on TV, buy one and wait, you will get a 2nd one free, just pay the shipping and handling. I ordered once, the 2 things were neatly packed in one package, couldn't have ordered just one any way. By the time all was done, the item cost me double what they were advertising it for. Never again!!
Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM

I agree with the others, cancel and tell them in the future they should mention the shipping cost did not include the shipping for the free item.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Had they stated that the "free" items still needed to have their shipping charges paid, you could have decided if that was acceptable. The way it was handled was poor advertising and poor customer service.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:44 PM

You did the right thing by cancelling. You should have been told that there would be additonal postage on the free one.