Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt? >

Rag Quilt?

Rag Quilt?

Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 AM

I just take mine to the local laundromat, wet the quilt, then put it in a dryer without any heat and let it tumble away, removing the lint frequently. When there isn't much lint left I dry it ... or you can wash it then dry it ... at the laundromat the first time please.

ali
Old 02-14-2012, 10:42 AM

I have done mine in my home machine . . . but before I washed, I used my chenille brush and brushed and brushed. Then into the washer . . another but . . I stopped the washer , about 1/2 way through agitation, and pulled out as much lint ~ floating and in the lint trap. Then when done washing took the rag quilt outside and shake the daylights out of it. Finally into the dryer, ran it for 20 minutes . . . cleaned out lint trap.... finished drying and clean out lint trap again. I have done two twin size rag quilt, 6 raggy flannel jackets and one raggy denim jacket, with no problems . . . knock on wood . . .
Old 02-14-2012, 07:38 PM

I always wash/dry a raggy quilt for the first time at a laundromat because we live in the country and have a septic tank. I had never thought about running a drying cycle first...will do that the next time. Thanks for that suggestion.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 PM

I don't wash them when I'm done, I put them through a rinse only. Then I dry them. I set an alarm for 10 minutes and I clean the lint trap out every 10 minutes until it's not piling up with lint. Then I leave the blanket in until it's dry.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I've only made lil ones- baby & lap ones but i saw a post about sewing them in a pillow case.. BOY does that ever work.. After the wash cycle is over I take it out side-unsew and DUMP the lint .. then dry in dryer, stopping every 10 min or so and remove the lint and 'fluff' the quilt.. Works great..
Old 02-15-2012, 04:39 AM

I wash mine at home, but I have a laundry tub next to my washer, I take the washer drain hose and put it in the sink to drain, I put a nylon stocking over the end of the hose to collect the lint. On a new full sized quilt, I usually get about 2 cups full of lint, and that is when it is wet...
Old 02-15-2012, 05:19 AM

I would never do it at home as I have had a friend who had a major problem with her washing machine at home after doing so. I just figure it isn't that hard to take it into town and wash at the laundromat. I hate to have my machine out of order from that.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:59 AM

I've made lots and lots of rag quilts and always wash them in my own machines. However, I do shake them outside before washing. Also, if I'm using flannel on the inside, I do same size squares; with batting, it's 1 inch smaller.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I've always done them in my washer at home without any problems. You can also do them with fleece. You don't get the fraying but it curls at the ends; still a cute look. You can make the blocks the size you want; I think mine were a little smaller but the filler is about an inch smaller. You sew an X thru them before sewing them together. I keep a tote of different ones sewen together for when I need a quick gift. I've also had print on one side and solids on the other and then appliqued designs on the solid side. Do a search here and you'll get tons of tips on this. Good luck on it.
Glad to hear about the fleece! I've wanted to do a rag but after seeing how many strings I get from pre-washing flannel, it was discouraging. I've always worried about a baby rag quilt with the baby getting strings wrapped around his fingers or toes...Fleece rag quilt...added to my "to-do's"
Old 02-15-2012, 06:46 AM

Smile Rag Quilts

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
I've only made lil ones- baby & lap ones but i saw a post about sewing them in a pillow case.. BOY does that ever work.. After the wash cycle is over I take it out side-unsew and DUMP the lint .. then dry in dryer, stopping every 10 min or so and remove the lint and 'fluff' the quilt.. Works great..
Can you please explain what you mean by " sewing them in a pillow case"? I'm guessing you mak the quilt, then put it into a pillow case that is either sewn or you could tie it tightly, then wash it.
I have neve made one but would like to know the best way to eliminate the lint problem. This discussion has given me great information.
Thanks for all the info.