Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ???????? >

Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ????????

Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ????????

Old 01-15-2012, 08:00 PM

like many others I use warm and natural batting and the silver ironing board covering purchased from jo'ann's

love mine
Old 01-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
Ok, I have a question. I posted earlier about my board, it is a corrugated metal shelf that I have covered with terry towels, warm and natural and wool. Now the wool give great grip and the terry and the w&n give great padding, not to high and very firm as after about a month, the amount of pressing and heat has made it settle. I like the steam to go all the way through the board, but I see everyone here is using MDF or some other kind of wood as their base. Last I looked, steam does not go through wood. Here is my question, are you not concerned about the steam build up and the warping of the wood with the steam? MDF and other chipboard products are held together with hot glue of sorts. I use a steam generator that gets extremely hot and produces a lot of steam. I would be afraid that would damage the board and the fabric would hold the moisture.. what am I not seeing here??
I don't use steam so not a concern for me, also my board is about ¾" thick plywood (because that is what I had) so it would take alot of moisture to make that sucker warp.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM

My Polder ironing board cover has 1/2 inch foam on the bottom. I would guess that this is a custom foam that is heat resistant because there is not even a hint of meltdown anyway. I would use 2-4 layers of Warm and Natural to get the pad feel of a modern ironing board. Most folks I know (and all the quilt shops) that have these wider boards have only 2 layers of Warm and Natural - if you aren't pressing clothing, you don't need the extra padding and your edges are more sharp. I still press clothing (shock!) and don't have room for 2 boards, so haven't gone that extra step to a big board.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fabriclovr View Post
Ok, I have a question. I posted earlier about my board, it is a corrugated metal shelf that I have covered with terry towels, warm and natural and wool. Now the wool give great grip and the terry and the w&n give great padding, not to high and very firm as after about a month, the amount of pressing and heat has made it settle. I like the steam to go all the way through the board, but I see everyone here is using MDF or some other kind of wood as their base. Last I looked, steam does not go through wood. Here is my question, are you not concerned about the steam build up and the warping of the wood with the steam? MDF and other chipboard products are held together with hot glue of sorts. I use a steam generator that gets extremely hot and produces a lot of steam. I would be afraid that would damage the board and the fabric would hold the moisture.. what am I not seeing here??
I've had mine over a year, and so far no problems at all with the board warping. Time will tell I suppose, but so far so good.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:06 AM

Mine hasn't warped at all, but the cover does become saturated at times, so I know the moisture is going into the wood. Next time, I will line underneath the batting with aluminum foil. It only takes a day or two for a damp cover to feel dry again, and I think the foil will speed that up.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:24 AM

The info I have read says that you do not need/want "cushy" because that is the cause of not getting nice flat pieces. Evidently cushy allows the fabric to stretch.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:46 PM

There is a store near me that sells the ironing board fabric in a couple colors.
I buy that and 3 layers of warm and natural. Sew small elastic around all sides
and it easily goes on and comes off.,
Old 01-23-2012, 10:24 PM

This is my ironing table on wheels. 2 layers of W&N then a heavy nylon draw string cover. I also use the old time spring and hooks to pull it tighter. Later I bought yardage of fiberglass ironing board fabric at a quilt show so I use less heat. I just hang it over the table free floating. And easy to move and storage below.<O></O>
<O></O>
This is my ironing table [on rollers] covered with batting and heavy nylon cover.I got mine very cheap. <O></O>
<O></O>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>function add2cart(id) { var error_message = ""; if (error_message=="") { document.shopcart.product_id.value = id; document.shopcart.method = "POST"; document.shopcart.action = "process.php"; document.shopcart.submit(); } else { document.shopcart.product_id.value = ''; alert(error_message); }}function add2cart2(id) { var error_message = ""; if (error_message=="") { document.shopcart2.product_id.value = id; document.shopcart2.method = "POST"; document.shopcart2.action = "process.php"; document.shopcart2.submit(); } else { document.shopcart2.product_id.value = ''; alert(error_message); }}function add2cart3(id) { var error_message = ""; if (error_message=="") { document.shopcart3.product_id.value = id; document.shopcart3.method = "POST"; document.shopcart3.action = "process.php"; document.shopcart3.submit(); } else { document.shopcart3.product_id.value = ''; alert(error_message); }}function selcol(s) { var tbl = document.getElementById('tblColors'); for (r=0;r<tbl.rows.length;r++) { for (c=0;c<tbl.rows[r].cells.length;c++) { id = tbl.rows[r].cells[c].id.replace('sw',''); if (id!=s) { tbl.rows[r].cells[c].style.backgroundColor = '#FFFFFF'; } } } var currentColor = document.getElementById('sw'+s).style.backgroundCo lor; if (currentColor.indexOf("rgb") >= 0) { var rgbStr = currentColor.slice(currentColor.indexOf('(') + 1, currentColor.indexOf(')')); var rgbValues = rgbStr.split(","); currentColor = "#"; var hexChars = "0123456789ABCDEF"; for (var i = 0; i < 3; i++) { var v = rgbValues[i].valueOf(); currentColor += hexChars.charAt(v/16) + hexChars.charAt(v); } } //alert(currentColor); document.getElementById('sw'+s).style.backgroundCo lor = (currentColor == '#FFFFFF') ? '#D8E4E7' : '#FFFFFF'; document.shopcart.sel_col.value= (document.shopcart.sel_col.value =='') ? s:'';}<O> </O>
<FORM><INPUT style="DISPLAY: none" value=add2cart type=text name=option[]> <INPUT style="DISPLAY: none" type=text name=product_id> <INPUT style="DISPLAY: none" type=text name=sel_col> <INPUT style="DISPLAY: none" value=/products.php type=text name=redirect> <H7></H7><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 class=inlineimg title="Stick Out Tongue" stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" alt="" src="http://www.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/tongue.png" smilieid="5" border="0" v:shapetype oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><Vath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></Vath><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock><v:shape style="WIDTH: 225pt; HEIGHT: 225pt" id=BigOne alt="Stainless Steel Work Table" type="#_x0000_t75" o:spid="_x0000_i1026"><v:imagedata o:href="cid:[email protected]" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\JOHNPE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><O></O>
24-Inch by 49-Inch by 35-Inch Stainless Steel Top Worktable<O></O>

<v:shape style="WIDTH: 53.25pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt" id=_x0000_i1032 alt="Add to Cart" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="cid:[email protected]" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\JOHNPE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image003.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><O· Dimensions: 24" D x 49" W x 35” H<O></O>
<O></O>
https://www.sevilleclassics.com/products.php?pid=92<O></O>
<O></O></v:shapetype></FORM>
Old 02-15-2012, 12:36 PM

insulbright is the best for batting, anything made out of poly will melt. use cotton for the front and the back.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by katkat1946 View Post
Although I'm not really answering your question, I really like covering my ironing board with a large piece of fabric which is held in place with large binder clips and large quilting safety pins. It's pretty easy to remove and throw in the washer when there's too much starch and too many steam marks on it. I rarely have to iron clothes anymore so the clips really aren't an issue.
Thank you! I just use my big old ironing board with no plywood top and can't find covers for it. I have little sewing time so did not want to monkey with making my own cover. Now I can put a new layer on - binder clips! What a great tip.