Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a cutting table!!! >

I want a cutting table!!!

I want a cutting table!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 07:40 AM

I have Joanns cutting table and love it. I have had no problems whith it being shakey or screws becoming lose.
I have had it for several years. I love the fact that the two sides can be folded down so that I can deside how big I want it to be.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 AM

Go to a thrift store. Sometimes they have old school tables ( these are usually height adjustable and sturdy & long). There might also be low book shelves that could have a top or door put on them for a wonderful cutting table. both of these options are studier & less expensive than Joann's even with a coupon.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:13 AM

I have one of the Jo Anne's table and love it!
I am taller and the height works well.
Also, takes up little space when the leaves are down, which isn't very often.
Most times I have one leaf up.
Bev
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 AM

I am on my second table from Joann's and if need be, I will get a third. They are great. Right height. Easy sizing because of the drop down leaves. And on wheels. Use your coupon and get theirs. It is a good deal!
Old 02-16-2012, 09:51 AM

The JoAnn's table was okay, but if you had to open and close it a lot for storage, it can get rickety because the screws loosen up. I bought a dining room table at the clearance center of a furniture store, though a thrift store would work just as well. Then I bought some wooden bed risers that my DH screwed to the bottom of the legs. It works great. I also put the furniture sliders under the risers so I can move it around, if necessary (right now my room is carpeted, though they would work well on tile, too.)
Old 02-16-2012, 10:30 AM

The JA table is fine, but you need to be aware that the table is made from particle board and I believe screwed together. I have purchased two. One for myself and one for my daughter. The one for my daughter was purchased a few years back and it had a middle section with a shelf (two shelves, I think) to put 'stuff', 'stash', etc on it. My daughter put her machine on it. Eventually from moving it about one of the wheels broke. She has two kids and doesn't keep it up all the time so it is continually being folded down and up again when she uses it which will put strain on the screws area and you have to be careful when it comes to particle board as it will become loose and could break. Particle board is ok if you don't move it about, but she has no dedicated sewing room so the family room is where she sews when she needs to. I think the table is fine so long as you take care when rolling it about, the corners are sharp and if it should catch on a rug or something that could cause it to fall, those corners will do some major damage (and I'm thinking kids!) I wouldn't want my grandkids to have that table corner fall on them! She is aware of this. And the one great feature is that it does fold down. The table is worth getting if you don't have the room to keep it up all the time or if you don't plan on having a permanent table set up and it does come in handy, I use mine all the time.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by catsnchina View Post
I have 3 of the long folding tables (also fold

in the middle) that are available from Costco for a reasonable price. We set them up on small Ikea children foot stools to get them to a good cutting height. You could also use PVC pipes over the ends of the legs to raise them up.

I can have 1-3 tables up at a time depending on whether I'm using the table(s) for cutting or laying out a quilt.
If you are looking to rise the height, you can buy bed risers to put under ea ch leg. I have seen them at places like Bed Bath & Beyond, but also at Joann's where you could use a coupon. Good Luck!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:54 AM

Default Cutting Table

My dream cutting table is a tennis table. When I see them in the stores they look like they would be the perfect size for cutting and laying out your quilt. Hopefully I will find a second hand one that will be cheap.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM

I have the table from JoAnn's and love it! The fact that it's sides fold down to make it about 18 inches wide is great. It's takes up little space stored. I've also seen some with "wobble" in them. Usually the wobble is due to the fact that the screws have loosened up and it can be fixed pretty easily! I think they are well worth what they cost!!
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Reading thru these suggestions, thank the good Lord that we have husbands that help us get set up to quilt. I find it simply amazing how they are able to read our thoughts and responses to what we love. Itsn't it great. Casi, use the table in the RV for now. Good idea. It will get you off the floor and able to cut fabric at same time. When you get further along and get that larger mat, you will find something that suits your needs well. Right now I use the kitchen counter and I have been quilting for over 16 years. I put my mat away after each use. It works. My DH bought me a beautiful sewing cabinet for Christmas a couple years ago and I never take it down. Will be nice when I can actually open it up to the full length it can go and put my mat there. The family room is still being used with kids. Oh well, I still get to have fun in the process of time.