Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I want a cutting table!!! >

I want a cutting table!!!

I want a cutting table!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 01:45 PM

I bought the Joann's one when I live in the mountains. When I moved back home I didn't need it so I gave it to my DIL. I did enjoy it and my DIL loves it. I like that you can fold it up if you need too.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM

These are wonderful suggestions and I hope you can find one that suits you. I can't get down on the floor, either, so lots of luck in finding a viable solution for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM

Have you considered buying an inexpensive rectangular kitchen table to do your cutting on and it would be wide enough for you to also walk around. Just an idea.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:14 PM

I like the idea about the Thrift store or Yard sale tables... or 2 shorter dressers with a piece of 3/4 inch plywood on Top. The wood could be lightly sanded, wiped off and a coat of primer and several coats of paint and a coat of polyurethane. the smaller dressers would make good storage...
Old 02-16-2012, 04:24 PM

i went to my locale hardware store,(RONA) told them what i needed and the capertner made me the perfect sewing table. its 4ft x8ft it comes in four peices the legs, top, and shelf under the table, both the legs are made so i can use them for shelfs too. the table top is the white melmalic (can't spell) wood. it was only $140 dollars and john the capertner even come and help set it up, so a mth later i had him make me an ironing table i love it $40 BUCKS. i would look around first and ask more questions. it might be worth the sore feet, lol
Old 02-16-2012, 04:38 PM

I bought a fold Up table from Sam's and has PVC pipe cut to make it the height I wanted. I can easily put it up and down and yes I am a senior too. Sam's also has 2 different sizes.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:43 PM

I bought my cutting table from JoAnn's for 40% off and I love it. It's true that it not heavy, but I never have any trouble with cutting, layout, or ironing (with a pad). I like the fact that it folds up to about 6 or 8 inches. When we have lots of company, my sewing room serves as an air mattress bedroom. A lot of my sewing room is portable or convertable and I really like that. If you never have to be versital like that, you may choose something else
Old 02-16-2012, 07:02 PM

I found one of the Joann's cutting tables on craigslist. I got it pretty cheap. I love it. It's a great height. It's on rollers and can be moved around or the sides folded down and stored away. It can be a little wobbly. But, I have my DH check it and tighten the screws. I would recommend it.
What ever you find, ENJOY. Anything would be better than getting down on your knees.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:50 PM

It depends on your height. I didn't test drive it before hand and the legs are not adjustable (I had assumed they would be). Although it is a handy table, I would like it to be a bit higher and so am thinking of ways to adjust it for my height.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 AM

I took plastic shelving units we had in the basement, and made them 3 shelves high(the type separated with the plastic tubes, from walmart or home depot) and put 2, side by side. I covered the top with hardwood floor samples from the local habitat for humanity restore I got for .50 apiece, they interlock to form a solid surface, then I bought one of the big 3'x4' (I think that is the dimensions) cutting mats when it was on sale at Joanns, 50% off, and put that on top. This way I have 2 shelves that hold clear shoeboxes I store fabric in, and a cutting surface.