Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm excited, but I need your help... >

I'm excited, but I need your help...

I'm excited, but I need your help...

Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
I have love my basic cheapo brothers forever, learned how to piece on them and still use them to this day. You don't want to spend a lot of money and find out she doesn't like it. Also if its just an occasional hobby these machines will last for years. I have one 19years old that still works perfectly as it did the day i received it for christmas as a child.

this is what I have also and I love it, as long as it has a zig zag I'm good.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by frarose View Post
The Janome has some nice little machines for under $150. Especially for learning on. I bought the $99 on sale for one of my DD's and she loves it. Very lightweight and basic stitches. this Christmas I bought the $179 one on sale for $129 for another DD. My machines are 2 Pfaff, Brother and a Babylock serger but they were not cheap.
I have been sewing for many years, but did all my quilting by hand up until about 2 years ago. I then decided to get a take-along machine for guild meetings. I bought an expensive Singer and it worked well, but it does have a hesitation to it. A few months later, I won a Janome lightweight and I LOVE IT! I think this model is a little pricey for your immediate needs, but if you can find a Janome in your price range, your youngster will enjoy it. Good Luck in your search.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by leggz48 View Post
I have been sewing for many years, but did all my quilting by hand up until about 2 years ago. I then decided to get a take-along machine for guild meetings. I bought an expensive Singer and it worked well, but it does have a hesitation to it. A few months later, I won a Janome lightweight and I LOVE IT! I think this model is a little pricey for your immediate needs, but if you can find a Janome in your price range, your youngster will enjoy it. Good Luck in your search.

Correction: I bought an INEXPENSIVE SINGER....
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 AM

After reading all your replies and putting great thought into your suggestions, I reached the following conclusion: 1. I'm not yet ready to give up my travel Pfaff machine as it's like an old friend. 2. My Bernina is too new for me to totally depend on just that. 3. The suggestion that young sewists are very tech savvy led me to believe K. will do fine with whatever she chooses. I suggested she check the local shops for reconditioned machines, explain the type of sewing she wishes to do. Be sure to check on repair capabilities. She already has lined up some lessons; they, too, may have suggestions. I worried too much about saying the right thing to encourage her continuation. She'll do fine exploring this new art form. She's done well with whatever else she has tried. Thanks everyone for helping me reach my words of encouragement.