Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-18-2012, 06:35 PM

@crewsemj - Your machine is absolutely fabulous.. wowsa!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
Hey Charlee I need a new tire for my WW8 do you have a source, it is rather a large one
I don't Glenn, mine is a bare wheel that runs on the belt...check with Mizkaki? (Cathy)... You might also try the local hardware store and see what they have for O-rings that would work.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by LDNanna View Post
Hi. I have just joined and am really enjoying reading here. I have two old darlings. One is a Singer 127 and the other is a 66-1 I think. The 127 is a well worn Memphis decal and the 66 is a Red Eye/Red Head. My husband got me the little 66 at a junk store and the 127 was given to us by a friend. I love them both. The 127 works the best. She came from a greasy storage room and the oil and grease from the oil field work there had hardened on it. It was a lot of work to free it up. The cabinet is still coated but the machine just hummmms!
That being said - I can't seem to get the bobbin winder freed up. It is so stiff and does not wind evenly. Does any one know if it can be adjusted or will it be better to try to find another?
I had to go look up "Memphis" decals! LOL (Most of us call it the Sphinx, but I think I like Memphis better!) All Redeyes are model 66.

As for your bobbin winder...are any of the parts bent? If nothing's bent, have you tried taking it off the machine and soaking it in Dawn? If you soak it, make sure to dry it completely, I'd pop it in a low temp oven for 20 or 30 minutes to make sure the heat dissipates the moisture. Then oil it and see if that frees it up.

Oh! And we need pictures!!
Old 02-18-2012, 06:57 PM

Mine is on the machine and the tire runs on the wheel. Thanks I will check the hardware stores they have large o rings that might work.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:14 PM

Another game of tell me what it is...found this listing while browsing CL. Looks kind of like the pics I've seen of Florence treadles, but I really have no idea what it is. I'm mostly just curious to know, and I bet someone here knows!

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/2850172342.html
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
Another game of tell me what it is...found this listing while browsing CL. Looks kind of like the pics I've seen of Florence treadles, but I really have no idea what it is. I'm mostly just curious to know, and I bet someone here knows!

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/atq/2850172342.html
It's an early Wheeler & Wilson.

http://silkmothsewing.blogspot.com/2...eeler-and.html
Old 02-18-2012, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Oh...and it's NOT the Foley & Williams...
Um, so my dear friend Charlee has been tantalizing you with the bits of news, eh? She devil, that girl:-)

Tis true, I do have a new indulgence. Wait, make that two since we've last 'talked' in addition to 'Val', the 'gal' that made the commute home with my 'Charlee'. If you haven't meet her yet, she is quite the looker; she is in almost pristine condition. She stitches fabulously - right on the mark. Here's the link to her post http://tinyurl.com/6smnts4. Then there is Miss Sophie, here's her link- http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...e-t179138.html (she is stealing my heart).

I will post photos and what I know of the gal 'Bea' tomorrow. If you want a teaser before then, this machine was made before this world event Dec 31st - Ellis Island (NYC) opens as a US immigration depot. (You have to figure out the year.) Here's another trivia to keep you busy, the machine was most likely made before this_ Mar 9th - False teeth patented
(again, you have to find the year).

Charlee, shame on you-tormenting these fine folks this way <bg>

See you tomorrow.

best,
d
Old 02-18-2012, 08:46 PM

That was quick! Thanks Charlee.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:48 PM

*I* am tormenting them? YOU are the one that bought her and then went dancing with your beau! And I KNOW you have pics of her now...
Old 02-18-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
That was quick! Thanks Charlee.
You're welcome! I'd love to have one of those machines, but like the blogger says, the needles are like hen's teeth, and while I don't use my W&W, I like having the needles so that I could if I wanted to! LOL!