Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone thought about this? >

Has anyone thought about this?

Has anyone thought about this?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:01 PM

I have a quilters will for the quilters around here. I have promised them to have first chance at anything they want, kids if they want any and the left overs to a charity that makes quilts for others. I do not want my fabric to go to Goodwill or somewhere the stuff will just be wasted. I m housebound and I have put a lot of thinking about it.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 PM

Thanks for bringing this to the forefront of my mind. It definitely is important to me that my "stuff" is handled appropriately. Me they can cremate... but my stuff... must be handled with care and properly distributed.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:12 PM

My friends & I have already talked about how to take care of our Q-stuff when the time comes.
A couple members of my guild passed in the last few years. One of them, who had no other family living, gave her quilts to the guild, for us to use as fund raisers. The family of another gave us her stash (so enormous it took us a large outdoor area!) and we sold it at our quilt show, splitting the proceeds with her family.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:07 AM

I instructed my husband to pass it all on to my sweetest quilting friend that I love dearly....except for the machines, in the event he needs to sell them to pay for my funeral....otherwise I want her to have those too.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:08 AM

i have thought about that but haven't done anything about it. except last time i attempted to clean my sewing room - i told my self " self - you have to pitch some of these teeny tiny scraps" (as i am 65 - not real healthy) you can not live long enough to sew all this material"
you are right - no one is promised their next breath. i will seriously write down who gets what or at least tape names to the bottom of the machines - which were expensive.
it is something we should all think about. i always think about what will happen to me after i die - sounds morbid but i think about it.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 AM

I have informed the entire family that my barn full of quilting and sewing machines are to go to the quilting guild that sews quilts for the children at LeBonheur and St. Jude Hospitals. These ladies pay a fee to rent space for their sewing and donate all supplies for the quilts given to each child at these two wonderful hospitals. This said, I feel better about my collection of machines and fabric and not the least bit guilty about what I have collected and continue to add to the stash.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:59 AM

Always good to make plans. Seen so many times it was thrown away. I'll have to remind hubby what to do. Great conversation to have among us
Old 02-19-2012, 05:34 AM

and as the wheels start to roll for me, I think the idea of having some of the quilts I have given away and the ones still in my possession are draped in the church..........would be lovely. We have a balconey- and I bet hanging some over the side won't begin to give enough room to drape them all. I only started a couple of years ago, but I have made many king sized and larger sized quilts for my kids.......as well as dozens of gifts for others. Don't even need to think about the wall hangings, lap quilts, baby quilts and just plain fun stuff my friends and family have.....pieces of me! I love the idea of passing out FQ's, guess that wouldn't be a problem either................
Old 02-19-2012, 05:35 AM

I've told me family that since I have so much fabric to just wrap me up in it like a mummy, then I can take it with me in case I get to finish those UFO's!
Old 02-19-2012, 05:40 AM

Wink

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I've thought about having a backhoe dump my fabric in on top of my casket as fill. I know too wasteful but I'm trying to find a way to take it with me! My daughter and daughter-in-law are both crafty so they will get first pick. After that, they can sell it or donate it. I won't care because I won't be there.
LOL!!! sounds like a great idea.