Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I have a binding with glue method question >

I have a binding with glue method question

I have a binding with glue method question

Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 AM
cc

Sharon Schamber sells tips for Elmer's glue bottles on her website. I've seen them there.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 AM

I use the glue sticks....so much easier....yes you get a wider strip of glue, but it catches all of the binding, irons/sets/sews well....and still all washes out.....I buy them at walmart when they have back to school sales...2 pack for $.44......no tips, no runny mess, no dried up bottle and no clogged tips!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 AM

This is the first time I have posted to this site although I have done alot of reading. I have learned alot. I have been an on and off quilted for 30+ years. I just moved and sewing room is still in boxes. I plan on participating alot more here when I get unpacked. Sorry... off track. When I was doing fabric painting I used to use scotch tape to make a fine tip. I would use a 2-3" piece and I would wrap it around the tip of the bottle of paint real tight until it formed a small opening at the end about the size I needed. If I wrapped it too tight and there was no opening I would cut the tip off to make an opening. Sometimes I would have the cut the formed bottle tip a bit before I put on the tape. It worked pretty well. The one down side is I would have to replace the tape each time it got gooped up. If the tape won't work on your glue bottle you can get a small empty bottle from hobby stores and pour glue over. Also try the empty ketchup, mustard, mayo bottles you can get at discount stores and make the tip smaller with the tape. These are just some ideas and good luck
Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by craftygater View Post
This is the first time I have posted to this site although I have done alot of reading. I have learned alot. I have been an on and off quilted for 30+ years. I just moved and sewing room is still in boxes. I plan on participating alot more here when I get unpacked. Sorry... off track. When I was doing fabric painting I used to use scotch tape to make a fine tip. I would use a 2-3" piece and I would wrap it around the tip of the bottle of paint real tight until it formed a small opening at the end about the size I needed. If I wrapped it too tight and there was no opening I would cut the tip off to make an opening. Sometimes I would have the cut the formed bottle tip a bit before I put on the tape. It worked pretty well. The one down side is I would have to replace the tape each time it got gooped up. If the tape won't work on your glue bottle you can get a small empty bottle from hobby stores and pour glue over. Also try the empty ketchup, mustard, mayo bottles you can get at discount stores and make the tip smaller with the tape. These are just some ideas and good luck
Thanks for the tip! I'm constantly loosing my Roxanne's bottle & this idea will be very useful. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 AM

Hobby Lobby and Michaels have these bottles with tips in there hobby paint section. they are packaged with a few bottles and little metal tips of various sizes. Many times the stores here are out of them but when they reorder they will hold them for you and call to let you know when they come in. Very good method for binding it is the only method I use anymore.

Good Luck

Suzy
Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by snipforfun View Post
Sharons daughter sells Sharons products. http://www.purpledaisiesllc.com/

I bought some of the overpriced tips from her and am very disappointed. They are plastic and their description says the tip and topper are connected but mine arent nor are the ones my friend bought. When running the tip on the fabric the tip was pushed down into the bottle. What a mess. I emailed her 3 times about them and with no reply. Now I just open the Elmers slightly and it works fine. I was able to buy some plastic bottles with fine metal tips from tooltron.com but the metal tips are hard to clean.
That's strange. I bought 2 tips from Sharon and have been very pleased with them. They're metal. I put one on 3 or 4 years ago and it's never come off. I don't bother to remove them and wash, I simply plug the tip with a pin when I'm not using the glue.

I've also discovered it's better to use the glue sparingly in drops, instead of a line, when I'm doing applique. I only use a line of glue when I'm putting on binding.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM

You can make your own glue tip using a Bic mechanical pencil. You want the "cheap" pencils that are typically sold in multiples. I have NOT done this myself, but found the following instructions for anyone brave enough to try them:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
You need: Bottle of Elmer's washable School Glue; Bic mechanical pencil (0.5).
Directions:
Remove the point part from the pencil. Use it to score a line on the orange cap of the glue.Pop the orange cap off the glue bottle after "unscrewing" it all the way out.Cut the top part of the glue bottle off below the first ridge after it stops tapering down.Cut the top off the orange top part of the bottle along the scored line you made.Insert the pencil point in the orange cap so the point is out through the enlarged opening you just cut. Push itfirmly into place.Replace the orange cap on the bottle.
Use a knitting needle point protector (Clover makes one) as a sealing cap on the bottle.
------------------------------------------------------
I am currently using a plastic bottle with a metal tip that I purchased at our local hobby store. I found the bottle in the section where they sell models.

Good luck with your binding!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:34 AM

I too have searched and can't find them... I also email Sharon Schambers web site and she did not reply, it would be nice if someone that takes care of her emails would at least let you know if they don't carry them anymore.. I even googled it and could not find them. Good luck
Old 02-21-2012, 11:16 AM

Found tips and plastic bottle in the craft paint section of Joann's. Bet Michaels and Hobby Lobby would have them there too. You won't find them with the glue. Don't know how many times I asked about the tips and glue when finally someone suggested the craft paint section. Found them!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:43 AM

Cybrarian , It may not be the right way, but I use a glue stick. Works good for me.