Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Computer machines left in trunks >

Computer machines left in trunks

Computer machines left in trunks

Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 PM

This just doesn't make sense. All electronic equipment has both operating temperature ranges and storage temperatures. The storage temps are almost always wider than the operating temperatures. Most industrial electronics have storage temperatures between -40C to 70C. Operating temperatures are much narrower, more like 0C to 40C. If your car trunk is in a Canadian winter and sits outside for 3 days, you could get -40C. If your car trunk is in Arizona in the summer, you could easily get well above 40C. But as long as you let your electronics adjust to room temperature before you use them they should be fine. Do you really think the ships and trucks used to ship your electronics are temperature controlled? The equipment sets for weeks/months in those on the way to you from their overseas manufacturing facilities.

I would have no problem at all leaving my machines in my trunk in the cold. I would be more cautious in hot weather though, and I would give them a number of hours before I turned it on. By the way, can you tell I manage electronic development programs?

Pam
Old 02-21-2012, 12:18 AM

If for any reason you leave any electronics, computerized or not, in extreme tempatures, either hot or cold, you should allow several hours to come to room tempature. It's not the tempature that can cause damage, it's the moisture and moisture doesn't like electricity. It shorts them out. That is why you see those little packages in all the boxes.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 AM

I also strap my machine in the car if I HAVE to take it out also it's computrized so stays indoors for that reason as well
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I'm lost. Why would you keep a sewing machine in the car? The only time mine ever goes for a ride is when I take it in for service or when it goes to retreats with me. In both instances it sits on the floor in the back seat and is removed immediately.
You might be dtempted to leave your sewing machine in your trunk if you belong to a weekly sewwing group where you bring your machine to. That is how one of the Guilds I belong to operates. We work together on our own projects offering each other help when needed. I have been tempted to leave my machine in my trunk when I have had a lot of things to carry upstairs.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM

I don't even leave mine in the attic space in the house for the same reasons. Too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. (The attic space is adjacent to my sewing space in the loft)
So the only trips my machines get is to workshops, retreats, or vacations. And the cabinet models just stay home.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:55 AM

Any temp change is an issue with machine...computer or not. Please let them warm up or cool down before using.
If I am taking my machine to a show during winter it is in a case and a polar fleece blanket is wrapped around it...sounds crazy, but...I love my machines.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:27 AM

I agree with CanoePam. As long as you can let it come to a normal temp, you should be OK.

On nights that I have a class, it it's going to really cold or hot during the day, rather than leave my machine in the car all day, I have DH meet me along the highway to give me my machine. I just don't have enough time to get the machine to a normal temp before class starts.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:54 AM

I too use surge protectors for both my sewing machine and my iron. Many years ago before they were available we lost several appliances during a summer thunderstorm.

Also, as I have a bad back it is sometimes difficult for me to bend over to plug and unplug the iron and as you know, most new irons do not have a true shut off switch. My surge protector is on the floor and I have discovered that I can turn the iron off and on with the button on the protector with my foot.

FYI: Make sure you by a surge protector and not just a power strip. You also need to make sure that the protector has a high enough joules rating to protect your equipment.

Originally Posted by callen View Post
On a similar note - do you have a surge protector for your computerized sewing machine? Our house got hit by lightning 3 years ago & all our electronics were ok because our tv's & computer were plugged into surge protector but not my computerized sewing machine. When I talked with the retailer I bought it from, the 1st thing he said was "How is your sewing machine?" I hadn't even thought about it. It was fine but since then I keep it plugged into a surge protector extension cord. Just a footnote, the lightning blew out a ceiling fan, a ventilation vent from the ceiling, travelled 3 floors down to the basement & blew out the entire phone system in the house. We got away very lucky as it easily could have started a fire. Never underestimate Mother Nature !!!