Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160 >

Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160

Need opinions please...Hubby said I can buy the new Singer 160

Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

When I read posts about a DH letting his wife buy or do something I cringe. But I know most posters have no idea how that comes across and it's not like they are under his control. I would like to think they discussed it, thus 'letting' the purchase be no problem or surprise.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Go with the iPad!!!! You can't beat and older singer in a cabinet for durablity and realiablity!!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:16 PM

Ok, on the wording of "he let me, I let him"....yes it was discussed before either one bought anything, any big item always is. I don't like guns and he has some old guns that he never uses. So we agreed he would sell his old ones to help pay for the new one he wanted. And being that I don't work outside the home, I don't like to spend alot of money on myself, thus the reason he told me I could get either the machine or tablet. He actually said I could get both if I really wanted them. However, I could not part with my old Singer so I just opted for the tablet, which I am loving! And even though I don't make any money, we share the money equally and he does not say anything about me buying fabric or what nots as long as all bills are paid and food is the kitchen. That goes for him too. Our family's needs come before our wants and we always make sure our daughter is taken care of before we spend any big amount on ourselves. And like I said, it is always a discussion before any big item is purchased.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Even though I liked the IPad's feature of 3G plus Wi-Fi, I didn't like all the restrictions on what and where you could get apps and such so I went with the next best thing out there, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 (32G of course).

Now I hope to get some sewing in this afternoon when he gets back from the range. I did some pillows yesterday for our cats....they sleep beside them though. Go figure. lol
Old 02-20-2012, 01:26 PM

In years past I had found that it didn't seem to matter that much which brand sewing machine I got (all relatively low $ ones), they all lasted about the same length of time...only a year or so. So I started getting whatever was the cheapest machine I could find. The most recent one I've bought was a Brother which did great for a couple of years and I've now passed it on to a friend who did not have a machine and she is enjoying it. Don't know if I just got lucky on that one, or if the quality is improving. (Or maybe DGS is no longer messing with everything in sight - like the tension knob, etc. - now that he's a little older LOL!)
The 'old' machines, like the featherweight and others of similar age and style, just seem to keep on going and going and going. So now I'm pretty much using my featherweight exclusively.
Apparently the combination of built-in zigzag capability and the use of plastic parts has done something to the continued durability and stitch quality of many of the newer machines.
I do want to get a newer machine that will do all the fun stuff, but can't seem to bring myself to pay that much for another sewing machine when I have one that works great for what I do.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by tngal22 View Post
Well he has been wanting a new gun for a while so I let him buy it today and since I have been pricing new machines and IPads, he said I could get one.

As much as I would love a new machine with some bells and whistles, I think I will get the IPad or some form of tablet. When I came upstairs, I saw her and just knew I couldn't replace her. She is solid and has sewn many things over the years and I am sure she will continue to with some good love and care.
Good choice. I have an IPad and I love it. In fact, I'm using it now to check messages on QB.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:21 PM

I'm with a couple of others who have expressed disappointment with modern Singers. I have around 30 vintage and antique machines, a modern serger and a Singer embroidery/sewing machine similar to the CE 250. It's spent more time in the shop than it has stitching. It's gone through more than one replacement bobbin case in very little actual sewing time - and although the bobbin cases are cheaply made, they're not cheap.

I would avoid any modern Singer, Viking of Pfaff - they are all part of the same conglomerate now and my rather pessimistic view is that the good companies don't bring the newcomers up to their level of service or craftsmanship, rather the poor companies bring the others down to their poor level of service and craftsmanship. Call me a curmudgeon - it probably fits.

If your 347 has the ability to do some decorative/utility stitches, it probably does more than you ever really use. And if I'm not mistaken, it also has a beautiful satin stitch.

If you want more decorative stitches, Brother puts out some really nice machines and Kenmores are made by Janome and some of those are a darned good deal for all the features, too.

Otherwise, I would definitely go with the iPad.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 PM

I was going to replace my digital camera, my husband bought me an Ipad 2 instead, great decision! Better camera plus a computer I can take anywhere, acts as a sketchpad, notebook, everything! My Janome, Juki fill every other need. I have tried the newer Brother, gave it to my sister for her paper craft work. The quality isn't there in the stitch, the racket it makes as it sews. Loved my 1970 Pfaff, but it couldn't be repaired any more (nylon gears). Would love an old Featherweight to take to classes but my Janome will do!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
If your current machine is working.. go for the I Pad. I love a cabinet mounted machine.. Unfortunatley , now you have to spend $$$ on a seperate cabinet.
I agree. If you are happy with the machine you have stick with it. I would skip the IPad and go on a fabric shopping spree!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:12 AM

I got a tablet but still went shopping at JoAnn`s for some supplies
Old 02-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot View Post
and a Singer embroidery/sewing machine similar to the CE 250. It's spent more time in the shop than it has stitching.

Otherwise, I would definitely go with the iPad.
I'm curious, what's the model similar to the 250? I have a 250 and never had a moments problem out of it.