Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Batiks-Love or Hate Them >

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Batiks-Love or Hate Them

Old 02-21-2012, 12:32 PM

I love batiks! Everyone is entitled to like and dislike whatever they want, that is what makes the world go around. Feel free to enjoy what you like best.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:29 PM

That, my fine friend, is why there are so many different types and colors of fabrics. It would be so boring if we all liked the same kind of fabric.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

It took me a while to warm up to batiks. But... one of the sales reps that calls on us kept encouraging me to look at them, and... well, at first they all looked alike to me. And then I looked closer and began to be able to tell them apart, and found that I did like the color and design on some of them. So I ordered a few for the shop, to see what would happen. Didn't sell many at first, but they kind of "grew on me" so every time the rep came around I ordered a few more, and a few more. I think we've finally reached some sort of critical mass with them - meaning now we finally have a pretty nice grouping of them - and now they're selling well for us.

But still... there are batiks I like, and probably more batiks that I don't care for. It depends on the color and the design. I don't care for ones that look primitive, blotchy or streaky. I prefer a more refined look. And I like the ones that read a particular color, or that combine neighboring colors on the color wheel. I don't care for ones that use opposite colors, because then the colors average out to something muddy when viewed from a distance.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM

I certainly don't like them. If I happen to get some given to me or they are in something I bought, then they are given to someone else right away. I don't even want them in my sewing room!. I have only had one piece of material ever faded on my quilt and it was that darn batik. The one time I tried them. Didn't like them before and certainly even more so now. Just my HO!
Old 02-24-2012, 02:54 AM
BMP

I am not fond of them but have made 2 quilts using them for my son's, they really liked them and I could get a masculine looking quilt with them. I must admit they were very nice to work with. I dont like them mixed with other fabrics tho ! I think with the right pattern they work well for quilts.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:47 AM

I am one that loves batiks. I love the different tones in a pattern. It makes them easy to incorporate them in a pattern. I will go to them first and then to other materials.