Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Toy sewing machine for 4 year old... >

Toy sewing machine for 4 year old...

Toy sewing machine for 4 year old...

Old 02-23-2012, 10:18 AM

Default kids' sewing machines

My granddaughter is six years old. I got her a Hello Kitty child's sewing machine for Christmas and the nicest thing I can say about it is that it is a piece of junk. I then researched kids sewing machines and found most of the comments to be negative for all of the little machines that I found. Think I will just continue to help my granddaughter quilt on an older Singer that I keep around as a backup. If anyone out there has found a child's sewing machine that really works, I would love to hear about it.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 AM

my daughter just started using my machine. At the time, it was a circa 1953 Singer with none of the bells and whistles offered today. She was so short she had to stand to reach the pedal. But she was able to successfully use the machine at age 4. Nowadays, I let my goddaughter sew on my Viking which has speed control so I slow it way down. There really is no need for a toy when they can learn/be taught to respect teh machine and use it safely. At least that was my parents' position and I am still here and sewing!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:27 PM

Thanks. My mom and I have talked about all the safety "rules" out there nowadays. I am just 34 but it seems we try to bubble wrap kids alot. Yes I tend to be overprotective but at the same time I let her have fun. I used to play in the cow pastures for goodness sake and I am just fine. I don't have another machine so a kiddie one will have to do until I can find a suitable small one for her to use.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:30 PM

The biggest factor with the toy machines is the stitch. Most don't have a bobbin so the stitch is a chain stitch and pulls out easily. Inexpensive 'real' sewing machines, use a bobbin and do a lock stitch. Most of the toys have a set stitch length--which is usually quite long. I would look for a decent used machine. Often at yard sales/ thrift shops they can be bought cheaper than a toy.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:20 PM

My 6yr daughter has been sewing on my Janome Magnolia since she was 4. She took her first class then, and made a cute handbag! Last year I bought her a kiddy sewing machine for her to use along side me. However we both got so frusterated with the poor quality and it constantly jamming up, that it quickly went in the garbage. With my supervision, she loves sewing on my machine, making many doll blankets, pillow cases, and very basic doll dresses.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:34 PM

Toy machines are just that, a toy. I bought one for my granddaughter and it frustrated her to the point she didn't want to sew. I would agree that with supervision any machine would do. The no needle sewing is a great idea to learn how to keep little fingers out of the way.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:48 PM

I think they put the age limit on toys because of liability reasons it is really up to your discretion. If she is using your machine with you there. There should be no reason why she can't use this one with you there