Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Bernina 830 is a pain! >

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

My Bernina 830 is a pain!

Old 02-25-2012, 10:08 AM

I have the 830 and love, love , love it. Sorry you are having problems.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:25 AM

I do not have a Bernina, but this problem sounds like there is something wrong with your particular machine. I would take the machine back to the dealer where you bought it and have them service the machine, which sould be at their cost. If they will not stand behind their product I would contact Bernina directly as someone has already suggested, you should still be under your warranty. I feel bad that you are not having a happy experience with your purchase.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM

I have found its funny about threads and some work and some don't! I have found Aurifil works the best for piecing and most other sewing, not much lint either. Lots of problems goes to user error. I have had mine about 2 yrs now and finely got it to run great! I use Isacord for embroidery too. Just don't sew too fast and all thread breaks now and then. Check you tension too might be too tight!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I bought a Bernina 830 a year ago. I was so excited. I knew it would be wonderful to sew with. Wrong! The thread breaks all the time. I've used every thread possible. I've used every needle possible. I even bought a vacuum for sewing machines and clean it frequently. One of the feet that came with it won't work. The dealer let me try one of their's and it wouldn't work on my machine, so they gave me a similar one and a couple of months later asked for it back. I said "no" and reminded them that the one that came with the machine wouldn't work on mine. It's the open toed foot. Good for appliqueing. The metal one wouldn't work but the plastic foot does. And my machine always tells me the thread is broken when it's not. I'm just really disappointed. This machine is suppose to be the cream of the crop. That's why I bought it. My old Viking works better than this one. Anyone else with a Bernina 830 having any of these problems?
I had heard that many of the first 830's were problems. I had one of the first Pfaff Creative Visions and it was a mess. I complained until they fixed it, when that didn't work, they replaced it. I would write Bernina and tell them you want it fixed so you can use it. That machine is much too expensive to just write it off. Open your mouth and don't shut it until they do something about it. JMHO Your dealer needs to go to bat for you!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:40 PM

That machine should have been exchanged - sounds like it's a lemon and Bernina probably wouldn't be very happy with your experience with the dealer that you bought it from. Maybe you should contact Bernina directly.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:19 PM

Any time you buy something that is manufactured, no matter what it is or who made it, you run the risk of buying a lemon. Sounds like you have a lemon, and the only Bernina Dealer in the country that does not pride its self on customer service. I just bought the 830's little sister, the 820, and I love it. There must be something wrong with your thread sensor. Customer care is their trademark. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 PM

I have a friend with an 830 and she has had similar probloblems but the dealer has been very responsive. For what this cost, you should contact bernina. I hate you are having such a bad experience.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by nancylee View Post
Just wanted to add, I looked up the price of an 830!!! Wow!! You definitely need to call Bernina!! For that price, that machine should get up and make you breakfast, beside sew flawlessly!!!
Nancy
First of all, I really sympathize with the original poster. I seem to have too much trouble with thread breaking and skipping stitches on my Janome, which is a much less expensive machine (but still very expensive to me).

Having said that, I am often curious about the price of sewing machines (and long arm machines) mentioned on QB but have been mostly unsuccessful at finding their prices. Is there a good site for looking them up?
Old 02-26-2012, 07:26 AM

I am so sorry you are having this experience....espeically since the 830 costs nearly as much as a car! I feel your pain, because I purchased the Pfaff Creative Vision when it came out...oh, I was excited beyond belief and the let down was so disappointing. I could not even chain piece on it without it eating the fabric between pieces. I got rid of that machine, took a HUGE loss that it pains me even now to think about. I purchased a Janome and a separate 6-needle embroidery machine and still did not spend as much as I did on that expensive Pfaff. It just goes to show you, just because you spend mega bucks, does not mean you get a great machine, and that is so unfair. It seems that the machines that have great reputations for many years like Bernina and Pfaff have gone the way of other brands, like Singer, and become junk. Just my opinion. I am happy with what I have now but it cost me to get there. I hope you can work something out to your satisfaction as well.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by callen View Post
I have the Bernina 820 which is exactly the same machine as yours but minus the embroidery module. I have had it for a year and a half & have never had a problem with it. Hasn't even been in for servicing yet. The bobbin is a little finicky and it will act up when the slightest bit of thread gets caught up in it but if I keep it clean & make sure it is threaded properly it's fine. I don't know about the U.S. prices but my 820 cost $7500.00 Canadian & that was with a $1500. discount. The 830 here in Canada ranges in price from $13,000 - 14,000. I would think your dealer is not living up to her part of being a retailer, which is being a responsible retailer!! My dealer even came to my house for 2 days to make sure I felt comfortable with it & she lives 3 1/2 hours away. That's being a responsible dealer (even above & beyond). I love mine & when I sew on my other machine, Juki 98Q, which I also love & then go back to my Bernina, boy you sure notice the difference. Best of luck with your machine.
Just a follow up with your machine. Were you told to NEVER sew without fabric under the foot? This is very important as the thread will get caught up in the bobbin compartment & give you lots of headaches. When you start to sew a seam, start your sewing a little in from the back edge of the material so you always have fabric under the foot. I love the fact that the bobbin holds almost triple the thread of a regular machine but it can be very finicky.
It is a wonderful machine but sometimes a little finicky when it comes to threading it & thread getting caught up in the bobbin area of the machine. Make sure it is always free of loose thread. Hopefully this will help.