Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 AM

Charlee - thanks so much - those I have and will certainly try one right away.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Carie View Post
where on earth do I find such a needle?
Everywhere. JoAnns, Hancock, Walmart, your local sewing machine shop, the internet in about 9 gazillion sites.
The 15x1 needle is the most available needle out there now. Almost every home type sewing machine uses and has used them for 100 years.

Joe
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Carie View Post
Charlee - thanks so much - those I have and will certainly try one right away.
Schmetz is just a brand name of needle that you can get just about anywhere....
Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM

Mariam, I am sure glad your legs work and look good. Be awful tobe out somewhere and fall down and show ugly legs.
Charlee, you are a cheeky little devil aren't you!
Glenn I agree with everyone else your drawers do look good.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Monica, your stars are exquisite! I have never tried paper piecing, but seeing those red stars makes me want to give it a try - on something small anyway!

Nancy
Thanks Nancy! Paper piecing is easy. You will have no trouble, just look for a tutorial on the net for a quick lesson; that's really all you will need. I was following (lurking) the BOM 50 Fabulous Stars when I decided to give it a try. Instead of buying the book, I borrowed it from the library since I was apprehensive on doing PP. After flipping through the pages seeing all the intricate stars, I felt daunted and thought no way am I going to get this project done. So, I just picked some stars to try. Now I'm going to finish the remaining stars, but I'm way behind the group on the BOM thread. I used the Singer 201 for the PP.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Thanks Nancy! Paper piecing is easy. You will have no trouble, just look for a tutorial on the net for a quick lesson; that's really all you will need. I was following (lurking) the BOM 50 Fabulous Stars when I decided to give it a try. Instead of buying the book, I borrowed it from the library since I was apprehensive on doing PP. After flipping through the pages seeing all the intricate stars, I felt daunted and thought no way am I going to get this project done. So, I just picked some stars to try. Now I'm going to finish the remaining stars, but I'm way behind the group on the BOM thread. I used the Singer 201 for the PP.
I'll be over by the library today....think I'll stop in, cuz I love the quilt you made!!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
A second word of caution, the class 66 bobbins you can get at Walmart, Joannes, etc., won't work on your bobbin winders for the Model 66 or 99's either. They just won't seat on the bobbin winder post!

Nancy
When you go to sew-classic to order your FW bobbins, order some 66's too for your Singer 99. Walmart and Joann's don't work in the 99. I didn't have trouble winding the bobbins from Walmart on my 99, but they wouldn't work in the machine.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Just curious about what is considered a vintage sewing machine. I have my old reliable Singer that's at least 30 years old. I love this machine. I considered buying a new 'electronic' computerized machine, but I'm so accustomed to my heavy, solid, all metal machine, that I'm not sure I could adapt. (Either that, or I'm afraid I'll fall in love with the new one and neglect 'old faithful'!). I don't want to part with her, she's been a good friend to me all these years.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
I'll be over by the library today....think I'll stop in, cuz I love the quilt you made!!
Thanks Charlee! If your library doesn't have the book, you can request it from the "Links+". I had to do that.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Marrinb123 View Post
Just curious about what is considered a vintage sewing machine. I have my old reliable Singer that's at least 30 years old. I love this machine. I considered buying a new 'electronic' computerized machine, but I'm so accustomed to my heavy, solid, all metal machine, that I'm not sure I could adapt. (Either that, or I'm afraid I'll fall in love with the new one and neglect 'old faithful'!). I don't want to part with her, she's been a good friend to me all these years.
It's pretty subjective... I'd say if it's all metal, then it's vintage! What model is your Singer?