Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What would you do with this top? >

What would you do with this top?

What would you do with this top?

Old 02-29-2012, 09:28 AM
RDM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
I'd take off the mustard fabrics and do some kind of vine with leaves, flowers and maybe bees, butterflies or birds in the long plain strips. And I'd have it longarm quilted.
I agree with this, those plain strips could become beautiful with vines,flowers, etc. Then do the same in the borders and quilting can make it come alive even more.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 PM

If you really don't like it but don't want to waste it, how about finishing it for a charity donation? Check with local hospitals, or with the quilt guild in Waco (if there's not one closer to you). I'll bet they'd have suggestions for where it would be appreciated. It might be too big, but if that's the case, you could probably make two or more smaller quilts out of it. I'm thinking that the part in the front of your picture would be great for a man's lap quilt or even a baby boy. Someone on this board posted recently that there tend to be a lot more quilts donated that are suitable for girls than than for boys. You could pull out some of the star blocks from the middle area and use them in a different project, such as making yourself some pretty pillow tops. The guild might have volunteers who would finish it to donate. So if you really just want to get shut of it, just donate it to them to figure out. I'm just speculating based on activities of my local quilt guild, which is a charitable organization and is always looking for projects. The star blocks are great and you put a lot of work into this. Don't let it all go to waste, whatever you decide.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 PM

Why not finished it and donate to a woman's care center you will feel blessed knowing you are helping someone.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:52 PM

Default Remodeling the Qult

Originally Posted by debs View Post
Howdy,
This is a top I machine pieced in the early 1970's!!!!!!

It was made to fit a double bed tothe floor cover at the time & the yellow & gold fabrics were added to assist it fitting in with the bedroom decor, colors ambiance!!!!!!!!!

Well, now it just doesn't work at all for me! Not happy with the colors or why on earth the strips are so wide, not sure what I was going to put in strips that wide, I guess quilting designs.
I really hate to rip out all the seams, but doubt I would ever do anything with it as it is. It would remain an UFO!

So I'm open for suggestions, I forgot to measure it, but it is big. I also pieced a backing of light green fabric for it.

All machine sewn even the blocks.

I hate that I found it this weekend & had forgotten it for so many years!

I agree with the others, Remove the mustard and fabric attaching the star strips and make a red, white, and blue quilt. Those are always very popular. I make them all the time for the wounded vetrans and the civillians always favor them over the other colors. You have a good thing going here. A sharp seam ripper will save the day.
If it is big, it will make a great quilt for anyone's bed. This is a greqt find and has tremendous possibilities.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:06 PM

I agree with Lori S.This is a good idea. Good luck. With an open mind it will be beautiful . Rowena101
Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM

Why don't you just tie it like they did in the an earlier time - the piecing is nice - If you don't want it - send it my way - I'll find it a happy home!!
Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 PM

I like all but the border. I would just replace that.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:10 PM

Why rip it when you can cut it. If you don't like the borders, cut them off. If you want to salvage the blocks cut them apart.Personally I think you could do some lovely quilting down those wide columns of solid fabric. If you are going to toss it anyway, cut out what you want and make pot holders out of the remaining. I do like the suggestion of donating it. You mya not like it but some homeless person would love it's warmth. Quilt it up and donate it to a shelter. I do like your stars! Nice work piecing all of it. Good luck!
Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 PM

I would take and finish it then donate to a family homeless shelter or save for home fire survivors. I know someone would be overjoyed to have it and you would receive the joy of giving. At least that is what I would do.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
If you don't want to take it apart, donate it.
My thoughts exactly, Kathleen. Somebody will love it.

Last edited by nstitches4u; 02-29-2012 at 07:55 PM.